Two’s Company

Whilst leafing through an old photo album with The Tween earlier this week, I stumbled across this snap, taken a little over 10 years ago.

The first thing which struck me, probably goes without saying – we’ve all aged considerably since those days (apart from my hairstyle which seems to have gone full circle!)
The second thing is that despite constantly hearing the words “time flies, make sure you enjoy them while they are young” this stage of toddlerdom seems like eons ago.  Most of it was probably spent in a blur!
In some ways, my two girls haven’t changed all that much: The Tween still sucks her thumb and would like nothing better than to spend all day cuddling up to mummy; The Teenager has managed to give up her passion for The Fimbles (remember those?) but still has that lovely caring nature which now gets lavished on ‘It’ rather than her teddies!
When I was pregnant with The Teenager, everyone was convinced that she would be a boy – even in labour, the midwife accused her of being a ‘stubborn boy’ (she was 2 weeks late and I’d been in labour for 24 hours!).  Being one of two girls myself, I had always imagined having daughters.  The OH however, is one of 7 boys; if statistics were to be proved right, I would be having a boy. We had suitable names lined up and I had got my head around the idea of a house full of boys.  Then she arrived – a beautiful, perfect, little girl (if a tad over-cooked!).  At last I could go out and shop for pink frills and pretty hair bobbles.  Only she turned out to be bald until she was 2 years old and as you can see from the picture, a little bit of a tom-boy!
When I fell pregnant again, only 9 months later, this one was surely going to be a boy. There were so few girls in the OH’s family line and I was under the illusion that the baby’s sex is determined by the lineage of the father.  Again we had our all-time favourite boy’s name at the ready and a couple of girls’ names in reserve (not thinking for a second we would need to decide on which one).  This time I had an elective c-section so  didn’t have to wait long to discover that in 18 short months we had become the proud parents of two gorgeous little girls.
Although these two ‘angels’ have succeeded in turning my hair grey overnight, by presenting me with one challenge after another and a repartee of back-chat that would give Tracy Beaker a run for her money, I am so thrilled to think that I have friends for life in these two.   I am excited by the thought of what lies ahead for us; I honestly think that our best years are yet to come :)
I’ve realised that I’m cheating ever so slightly with this week’s entry for ‘The Gallery’ because I clearly didn’t actually take these shots myself….hoping Tara forgives me ;)  Click on the link below to view other posts with the theme of ‘Two’.

32 Comments on Two’s Company

1. SarahMummy
    June 5, 2013 at 7:34 am (2 years ago)

Lovely photos. And so nice to remind yourself that, even though they give you trouble, you have been blessed to have these two amazing girls. X

• Suzanne Whitton
      June 5, 2013 at 5:11 pm (2 years ago)

Hmmm, today ‘blessed’ is not a word I would use!

2. Tas D
    June 5, 2013 at 8:06 am (2 years ago)

Aww you haven’t aged at all, they are lovely photos and I bet it feels like they’ve grown up in the blink of an eye!

3. Michelle Ashmore
    June 5, 2013 at 8:17 am (2 years ago)

Aww that’s a lovely post. I have 2 girls who are growing far too fast and whilst I do get a bit sad thinking of them getting older and leaving childhood behind, I’m also looking forward to seeing them turn into lovely young ladies :)
    Your girls are beautiful :) xx

• Suzanne Whitton
      June 7, 2013 at 4:03 pm (2 years ago)

I think that’s one of the magical things about having girls…they will always be there :) x

4. Sarah of 'Catching the Magic'
    June 5, 2013 at 8:24 am (2 years ago)

Gorgeous photos – both then and now! You really look equally radiant now as then & your daughters are beautiful. It’s so incredible to see the changes in photos like that – time really does fly – and seems to go faster the older I get (particularly since becoming a parent!!).

5. Coombe Mill
    June 5, 2013 at 9:42 am (2 years ago)

You look stunning then and now and how lovely to turn your girls from babies to friends.

• Suzanne Whitton
      June 7, 2013 at 3:58 pm (2 years ago)

Okay I wouldn’t say ‘friends’ as yet Fiona but perhaps in the future (I can live in hope!)

6. Susan Mann
    June 5, 2013 at 12:11 pm (2 years ago)

Lovely memories and gorgeous girls x

7. Michelle Twin Mum
    June 5, 2013 at 12:38 pm (2 years ago)

Ahh, I think you are right the best years are indeed yet to come. Mich x

8. Jaime Oliver
    June 5, 2013 at 3:00 pm (2 years ago)

this is lovely Suzanne and i too remember the fimbles!! damn things! x

9. Lous Lake Views
    June 5, 2013 at 4:21 pm (2 years ago)

Gorgeous pictures, don’t you all look alike! I can’t imagine having two so close together they must have been quite a handful!

• Suzanne Whitton
      June 5, 2013 at 5:10 pm (2 years ago)

I can never see the similarities myself – funny how that happens isn’t it?! My girls are VERY different in personality so I guess that’s maybe why. And yes, they were (and still are!) a handful ;)

10. Alison Pike
    June 5, 2013 at 7:18 pm (2 years ago)

You don’t look like you’ve aged at all! Lovely photos :-)

11. Harriet
    June 5, 2013 at 7:48 pm (2 years ago)

Looking at my own entry of my 2 year old, seems terrifying to think how quickly he’s grown up. Can’t imagine being where you are, yet know it’s going to go before I know it.

Must remember not to shout quite so much…!

12. Funky Wellies
    June 6, 2013 at 7:25 am (2 years ago)

Lovely photos. Time does fly, I see this with my two daughters too…

13. Mama Owl
    June 6, 2013 at 9:12 am (2 years ago)

Lovely photos, the time goes by so fast x

14. Sara Murray
    June 7, 2013 at 1:10 am (2 years ago)

Lovely photos – I look forward to the years to come with my little girl, but if she’s anything like her mother, I fully expect her to be quite a handful herself :)

15. Galina Varese
    June 7, 2013 at 7:56 am (2 years ago)

Lovely photos. I hardly had any hair as a baby or tot, but my younger brother was blessed with long eyelashes and beautiful locks (life is not fair, is it?). And my boys have great hair too.
    You all look beautiful. And you are so slim, I wish I stayed the same size as ten years ago. sigh

• Suzanne Whitton
      June 7, 2013 at 4:02 pm (2 years ago)

It seems to always be the boys who get the eyelashes doesn’t it?! Thanks so much for your lovely comment. I think staying slim goes with feeling permanently stressed!

16. Glenda- Dining In
    June 7, 2013 at 8:56 am (2 years ago)

Well they have changed but you don’t look any older.

17. Gailann Houston
    June 7, 2013 at 12:09 pm (2 years ago)

Fab photos and by the looks of things you have grown more beautiful with age, lucky you! The children are adorable too x

• Suzanne Whitton
      June 7, 2013 at 4:01 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you so much….you can visit again ;)

18. Jen Palmer
    June 7, 2013 at 2:49 pm (2 years ago)

Lovely photos. My two are 21 months apart and we’re edging out of the toddler stage as they are now 4.5 and 2.5. So scary to think how quickly it has passed and that, in another couple of years, they will both be at school.

19. Karen Bell
    June 7, 2013 at 3:16 pm (2 years ago)

Great pics, I love comparing then and now.

20. dragonsflypoppy
    June 8, 2013 at 12:21 pm (2 years ago)

Such beautiful photos, Suzanne. You really have two very lovely girls. My little girl is like a little extension of me at the moment, so loving and affectionate, I hope it lasts and we remain firm friends when she’s older xx

21. Tori Wel
    June 8, 2013 at 11:17 pm (2 years ago)

What a great post Suzanne. Your girls are gorgeous and I bet they are such great company. Thank you so much for linking to PoCoLo x

22. Mum in a Hurry
    June 11, 2013 at 5:41 pm (2 years ago)

Aw. Lovely story. Mine are 2 and 4 right now and I find myself wishing it away some of the time (while also constantly being told to enjoy them while theyre little!). Lovely pictures!