A New House Guest

“Please make sure the lid is firmly on those locusts”

“You cannot go to bed and leave that box of meal worms on the floor….put them away!”

In all my years of motherhood, these are two sentences that I never, ever thought I would hear myself utter. Seriously, how did I get talked into this?!

Have you guessed what it is yet?

A few months ago, the lovely people over at Swell UK offered us a product to review. Knowing that they specialise in pets I was rather excited; my soon-to-be 9 year old son had been nagging repeatedly for his own pet, this could time very nicely with his upcoming birthday. What I didn’t immediately realise however, was that Swell UK specialise in pond, aquarium and reptile supplies!
I promptly cast aside all thoughts of small, cute, fluffy bundles and began researching reptiles. Can you believe it? Me, Mrs House Proud and notoriously squeamish, googling ‘family friendly reptiles’!  Having ruled out a Corn Snake (phew) and a Bearded Dragon (too high maintenance), we plumped for a Leopard Gecko. According to experts at Swell UK, Leopard Geckos are the easiest and most suitable first (and definitely last!) reptile for a child.
The Leopard Gecko Silver Starter Kit (consisting of a 45x45x45cm glass terrarium, heat mat, natural sand, coconut hide, feeding dish, calcium dust, Leopard Gecko book) arrived within plenty of time for the big day and came complete with everything we would need.   Now all I had to do was get my head around the idea of feeding this creature live insects, I had yet to even considered where we might be keeping said bugs *cringe*.
The Boy had absolutely no idea that we had finally succumbed to his constant pleas for a pet of the reptile variety.  Imagine his surprise as he opened the box to reveal this….
Later on that day, we visited our local reptile shop.  After much deliberation, The Boy chose a small, brightly patterned Leopard Gecko, which he later named Reggie.
Reggie has been with us for a week now and has settled into his new abode very well.  I’m not sure that I will ever get  used to the fact that a stash of live locusts, crickets and meal-worms is being stored in my son’s toy cupboard, alongside a box of Playmobil….but you have to admit, there is a certain charm about this little fella.

Disclaimer: Our thanks go to Swell UK for supplying us with the Leopard Gecko Silver Starter Kit at a retail value of £79.99.

36 Comments on A New House Guest

1. SarahMummy
    October 7, 2013 at 7:43 am (2 years ago)

Wow, you are very brave! (And very kind!) Not sure I could cope with a reptile myself, but he does look very cute :)

2. Notmyyearoff
    October 7, 2013 at 7:49 am (2 years ago)

Your gecko is really cute looking. Hope he’s settling in ok! All the insect references made me itchy though :)

• Suzanne Whitton
      October 7, 2013 at 8:49 pm (2 years ago)

Believe me, I often feel like my skin is crawling!

3. Iona@Redpeffer
    October 7, 2013 at 8:19 am (2 years ago)

Wow, he is very cute but I’m not sure I could have a reptile in my home no matter how cute! I agree with you, it’s not so much the Gecko as the food he needs that would put me off too.

4. Charly Dove
    October 7, 2013 at 8:47 am (2 years ago)

Reggie looks so cool, a dude of a reptile! I bet The Boy loves him. The bearded dragon sounds like a character too, maybe you could get one of those next? Just kidding Suzanne! Wonderful post, such an interesting pet. I would always check the lid of the locusts is on properly! Thank you so much for sharing with #whatsthestory

• Suzanne Whitton
      October 7, 2013 at 8:50 pm (2 years ago)

Ha ha, we’ve had one or two interesting encounters with crickets found jumping around the house!

5. Kim Carberry
    October 7, 2013 at 9:44 am (2 years ago)

Ohh wow! I don’t like things like that!! You’re brave….It does look cute though x

• Suzanne Whitton
      October 7, 2013 at 8:54 pm (2 years ago)

I’m fairly astounded by my bravery too!

6. Dipen
    October 7, 2013 at 10:25 am (2 years ago)

Like the new design for the blog. Surely you should consider changing your blog to 3 children and 2 its?

• Suzanne Whitton
      October 7, 2013 at 8:55 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks Dip. Not making any drastic changes yet, the jury is still out!

7. Jaime Oliver
    October 7, 2013 at 10:44 am (2 years ago)

OMG i would be having kittens with live food lol I do have to say that Reggie is very very cute!

thanks for linking up with #MagicMoments x

8. Michelle Twin Mum
    October 7, 2013 at 11:05 am (2 years ago)

Reggie is very cute and I never though I would say that! lol Great new header BTW. Mich x

9. Mumof2.com
    October 7, 2013 at 11:09 am (2 years ago)

I am not a fan of gheckos – only because I grew up with them being everywhere and whilst they are handy to catch mosquitos – i didn’t like it when they dropped off the roof into the shower!

But…I think you are fantastic for agreeing to have Reggie as a permanent member of the house.

10. Mama Owl
    October 7, 2013 at 11:24 am (2 years ago)

*horrified face*

Good luck! You are a braver woman than I haha

11. dragonsflypoppy
    October 7, 2013 at 1:07 pm (2 years ago)

Oh I think you deserve mum of the year for this Suzanne. I take my hat off to you – much braver than I am xx

12. mother.wife.me
    October 7, 2013 at 6:47 pm (2 years ago)

I love gheckos, not so sure about the insects they need to be fed though *squirms* ;)

13. oana79
    October 7, 2013 at 7:27 pm (2 years ago)

They look so mesmerised by it!

14. Emily Foran
    October 7, 2013 at 9:06 pm (2 years ago)

What a wonderful Mum you are and incredibly brave.
    Don’t gheckos have holes through their heads – eeeeww!!
    I find it hilarious things we find ourselves saying/shouting at the children that leave you thinking ‘Huh, did I really just say that?’ xx

15. Coombe Mill
    October 7, 2013 at 9:41 pm (2 years ago)

How exciting, my kids would be fascinated with these!

16. Lou's Lake Views
    October 7, 2013 at 9:44 pm (2 years ago)

Isn’t parenting just full of those ‘sentence I never thought I’d say’ moments! your two are classics though :-D The Gecko is actually kind of cute but it’s food is seriously icky!

• Suzanne Whitton
      October 8, 2013 at 7:06 am (2 years ago)

I know, I think I would have a whole book on ‘sentences I never thought I would hear myself say’!

17. Misty B
    October 7, 2013 at 10:07 pm (2 years ago)

Awww, Reggie is super cute! My Mum has recently come into ownership of a bearded dragon and as cute as she is, I still squirm when she tells me “I’ve just gone to get Delilah some locusts” *shudder*

• Suzanne Whitton
      October 8, 2013 at 7:05 am (2 years ago)

I love the name Delilah! Bearded Dragons take a bit more looking after but they’re amazing creatures aren’t they?

18. Pinkoddy
    October 8, 2013 at 4:43 am (2 years ago)

He is gorgeous. I do think we will be getting one soon as seems all the boys friends have one.

• Suzanne Whitton
      October 8, 2013 at 7:05 am (2 years ago)

Pretty popular with boys I think, although my son has yet to even pick him up!

19. Sarah Wheeler
    October 8, 2013 at 11:50 am (2 years ago)

I started to cringe as I read your post. I have to admit though Reggie is rather cute!

20. Nicola Robson
    October 8, 2013 at 3:29 pm (2 years ago)

Very sweet like Gecko – reminds me of an advert in the US where the gecko was the mascot. Enjoy!

21. Everyone Else Is Normal
    October 8, 2013 at 8:51 pm (2 years ago)

This is really cool, I have to say! At first I thought your pets were locusts and I started to itch. Or a snake – aaagh! But having lived abroad in hot countries I can tell you that gecko’s aren’t in the creepy category at all. In fact, if you’d got him in the summer when it was really hot you would have found him v useful let loose in the house eating all your flies and spiders!! Believe me, you’ll soon get used to him. And I love those photos you took of it/him/her. Really good! Your journey begins…and as my granny would say “Hats off to you” for even starting it!

22. waggfoods
    October 9, 2013 at 8:16 am (2 years ago)

Reggie is lovely, but typist is with you it would be feeding it live bugs that would have her freaking out!

23. Wally Mummy
    October 11, 2013 at 7:25 am (2 years ago)

Wow you are braver than me! I’m praying my child doesn’t get into lizards because she will be doing it alone! Lol x

24. Mark Huyton
    November 19, 2013 at 12:10 pm (2 years ago)

Lovely, we have a Crested Gecko and a leopard gecko, had all sorts of problems with crickets escaping they even ended up in our neighbours house, we bought a cricket keeper from http://www.littlebigpet.co.uk/reptiles/live-food-containers-c-417_962.html the small crickets kept escaping, now we are feeding larger ones it seems to be fine but i would keep in the containers you buy in while they are still small