The Most Delicious Apple and Cinnamon Cake Ever!

A couple of weeks ago I made yet another internet food shopping ‘clanger’.  Last time it was jacket potatoes, this time it was 6 bags of juicy, braeburn apples adorning my kitchen work top.  What’s a girl to do with 36 apples?!
I went about googling recipes and came across the easiest, most delicious apple cake recipe everrrr!  I thought it would be rude not to share….

Apple and Cinnamon Cake

150 g butter
4 apples
150 g brown sugar
2 eggs
300g Self-Raising flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
150 g sultanas/raisins
  • Melt the butter and wait for it to cool.
  • Peel and grate the 4 apples.  Mix with the sugar and cooled butter.
  • Add the eggs and mix well.
  • Pour in all the dry ingredients and fold in.
  • Add the sultanas or raisins and mix well.
  • Pour into a prepared tin and bake on 170 for 40 minutes.
  • Allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn out on a wire rack.

Perfect for either eaters or cookers, so if you’ve got a glut of apples falling off your tree right now – get baking!

PS If you’ve got any more apple recipes I may just have a few left over….

38 Comments on The Most Delicious Apple and Cinnamon Cake Ever!

1. Sarah
    October 9, 2013 at 10:58 am (2 years ago)

This is a fabulous recipe which I constantly make at this time of year from my windfalls. My hubby and children can’t get enough of this cake and it freezes well too so can be made in batches for eating in the weeks to come :-)

• Suzanne Whitton
      October 9, 2013 at 5:50 pm (2 years ago)

It’s a winner in this house too! Made it twice but still got leftovers!

2. gina caro
    October 9, 2013 at 10:58 am (2 years ago)

That looks amazing! I have a whole basket full of cooking apples, I’m going to have to try this. Mine probably won’t turn out looking as good as yours though :-(

• Suzanne Whitton
      October 9, 2013 at 5:51 pm (2 years ago)

Seriously Gina, this is so easy! Im no baker, I can assure you!

3. Jen Walshaw
    October 9, 2013 at 12:41 pm (2 years ago)

Looks fab. I have apples left so this is going on my to bake list

• Claire
      October 9, 2013 at 1:49 pm (2 years ago)

Sorry, meant to say I will definitely be giving yours a try too!

• Suzanne Whitton
      October 9, 2013 at 5:52 pm (2 years ago)

He he, any variation on the theme is good with me!

4. Super Busy Mum {Debs}
    October 9, 2013 at 1:52 pm (2 years ago)

That looks lovely! Wee slice of that with a cuppa would do rightly, lol

5. Katie
    October 9, 2013 at 7:08 pm (2 years ago)

That looks so delicious – i will definitely be making the ‘most delicious apple and cinnamon cake ever’ – how could i not with a name like that!

6. Kath Bee
    October 9, 2013 at 7:22 pm (2 years ago)

my mouth is watering just reading the recipe!

7. Everyone Else Is Normal
    October 9, 2013 at 7:35 pm (2 years ago)

This looks gorgeous. Wish we had an apple tree to have windfalls from, but i’ll happily go buy for this recipe. BTW this would be a great EAT ‘discovery’ for my Things I Discovered series. Just add the link to this post. The trick is to jot them down as you come across them throughout the month and, hey presto, you have it all done by the first week of the next month!

• Suzanne Whitton
      October 10, 2013 at 1:52 pm (2 years ago)

Why don’t you make the cake and then use it as your ‘eat discovery’!!! I do have your series in mind though and will jot down as I come across things…

8. Jo Laybourn
    October 10, 2013 at 8:16 pm (2 years ago)

I can almost taste it reading this! Looks scrumptious!

9. Coombe Mill
    October 11, 2013 at 7:30 am (2 years ago)

I made one just like this yesterday. So perfect for the season, though I have to leave the sultanans out for my kids – so fussy!

10. MamaMummyMum
    October 11, 2013 at 8:21 am (2 years ago)

This post has made me feel rather hungry mmmm #PoCoLo

11. Debra Carr
    October 11, 2013 at 9:04 am (2 years ago)

Oh I’m pleased I’m not the only one that sometimes messes up the on-line shop, I once received 30 bananas but luckily noticed as I was emptying the boxes and sent them back.

12. Lisa1970
    October 11, 2013 at 9:52 am (2 years ago)

Sounds delicious :)

I’ve done it with bananas too but the delivery man said “you didn’t really want all these did you?!” I’d marked 6 meaning I wanted 6 bananas not 6 *bags* of bananas!

13. Sarah Miles
    October 11, 2013 at 9:55 am (2 years ago)

Looks yum! And, yes….I’ve been there too with shallots. I really was The Lady of Shallot….

14. Jaime Oliver
    October 11, 2013 at 1:22 pm (2 years ago)

Suzanne this looks amazing!! i so wish i could bake lol

15. Sara Murray
    October 11, 2013 at 5:49 pm (2 years ago)

Oh, that looks yum! Hoping to go apple picking with the kids this weekend, so will be looking for recipes! I’ll be back :) #PoCoLo

16. Notmyyearoff
    October 11, 2013 at 6:30 pm (2 years ago)

Yummy that looks so nice!! Anytime I see apple in a cake then my next thought is custard :)

17. Victoria Welton
    October 11, 2013 at 10:45 pm (2 years ago)

That looks and sounds absolutely gorgeous :) Perfect for this time of year! I made a chocolate Apple Betty the other day and it went down a storm. Must share that recipe for you too :) Thank you for linking to PoCoLo x

18. Kriss MacDonald
    October 11, 2013 at 11:05 pm (2 years ago)

Ah my kids would really like this (minus the raising)!

19. afra willmore
    October 12, 2013 at 9:37 am (2 years ago)

feeling hungry now….. lovely pictures. Popping over from #PoCoLo

20. Orli D
    October 13, 2013 at 3:25 pm (2 years ago)

Looks great! I love apple cakes, especially this time of year.
    You made me hungry :)

21. Nell Heshram
    October 13, 2013 at 6:06 pm (2 years ago)

Yummmmm! Sounds a bit easier about turning the heap of apples into cider, too!

22. Everyone Else Is Normal
    October 13, 2013 at 9:05 pm (2 years ago)

This looked so yummy I had to try this yday. Although it certainly does tastes yummy it didn’t rise much and was undercooked. I’m guessing its cos I chose a tin that was too small, and that I shouldn’t have beaten the eggs? Is that right? You didn’t mention tin size. Can you enlighten?! Thx S!

• Suzanne Whitton
      October 15, 2013 at 1:14 pm (2 years ago)

Okay apologies for not being more specific! I used a 10inch x 10 inch square tin and self-raising flour – did you use self-raising? I did beat the eggs, didn’t seem to matter.

• Everyone Else Is Normal
      October 15, 2013 at 7:36 pm (2 years ago)

Thx S! No worries, it was probably my poor baking skills at play. Yes to SR flour. Tin was 10×10 – hmm, must have been my poor baking skills!!! Was still delicious btw, just a little on the heavy side :-) I’ve been eating small squares of it and loving it as has my normally apple-phobic son!

23. otilia stocks
    October 15, 2013 at 7:28 am (2 years ago)

Your cake sounds and looks yummy!
    Thank you so much for linking up with the #FridayFoodie. I hope you enjoyed it and you will comeback next week for the BAKED theme. x

24. AMummyToo
    December 30, 2013 at 10:13 pm (2 years ago)

Hey lovely. I wondering what to do with all the apples I mis-ordered online and so came and found this recipe lol! It’s perfect. Would love it if you’d link it up to #recipeoftheweek.

• AMummyToo
      January 4, 2014 at 10:13 pm (2 years ago)

Yay. Thanks very much for joining in with #recipeoftheweek. I’ve Pinned and tweeted this post and there’s a fresh linky live now. Please do join in! :D