Are You Serious?

That’s the response I got from my OH when I announced that I would be going ‘dry’ for January.  And that is where my New Year Goals (Resolutions are soooo last year, darling) began.

Ok I did opt for rather more than my fair share of ‘goals’ but I also admitted to being passionate about starting a new year off with a determination to change. Here’s how I’ve got on….

Dry January – 13 days down and ‘the shakes’ have finally subsided. Only joking! Seriously it has been boring difficult at times but mainly due to habit. You know, Sunday nights when Monday is looming and a cheeky glass of vino takes the edge off it or Saturday night when you’ve been invited round to friends’ for dinner and everyone else is relaxing with their favourite tipple – so far, Shloer is not doing it for me!
I can almost smell it!
But I’m determined to stick with it, mainly cos I’m stubborn as a mule very determined and know that I would be disappointed in myself if I gave in.  I will admit to having to resist wrestling my husband for his glass of wine as he sat sipping it whilst watching TV yesterday evening (how selfish!)….cup of tea and a biscuit doesn’t have quite the same affect.

Less Waste – We are notorious for creating enormous amounts of rubbish and choosing not to recycle out of laziness.  No more!  Due to us running out of the special blue bags that our local council insist that we use for waste but only provide 40 for the entire year, we were forced into changing our habits.
When people in our local town are sending their children to school without breakfast as they can’t afford it, we simply must not be throwing away perfectly good food at the end of a week.  I am on my second week of meal planning and strangely enough, this new-found routine has left me feeling quite liberated.  I think it’s being in control and seeing the £30 saving on my shopping bill this week (a vast chunk *may* have been due to no wine being added to the trolley!).

More Time Outdoors – Can you cut me some slack on this one?  It’s been raining incessantly for 13 days, so despite taking the dog for his daily walk, we have done very little so far.  I have however, persuaded my family to opt into a ‘screen free day’ next Sunday 19th January, an initiative set up by Let Kids be Kids, I am planning to get them out and about. Watch this space!

More Photography – 2 weeks in to Project 365 and I’m loving it!  The idea that I will have a record for every single day this year, right here on the blog, is really motivating.  If you fancy joining in, it’s not too late. I have yet to look into a photography course or research digital SLR cameras (the fancy ones with all the different lenses, that take fabulous photographs that I am jealous of) but it’s on my list.
Less Ironing – This is going well so far…..mainly cos the OH is doing it instead.  I never said *how* I would achieve this one, did I?
More Reading - I’ve started Daring Greatly by Brene Brown but I’m still not disciplining myself to read instead of spend time on screens.  I reckon a whole evening of no screens next Sunday evening might help.
And the last one….More Adventures….we’re only 13 days in, give me a chance!

How are you getting on with your resolutions goals?
Got any non-alcoholic drink suggestions for me?  It’s going to be a loooong month!

Motivational Monday

Fifth Time Lucky?
The Week That Was / Project 365 no. 2

43 Comments

• Ooh they sound interesting Eileen, will go and check them out :)

1. Well done to you. I’m actually finding that the more I drink water the more appealing it seems. I do like the fact it is free too – winner. I ought to join in with this screen free day as it is the day before I go to London for a while. Thank you for linking to Motivational Monday and helping to keep me inspired.

• I’m actually thinking it will be me who struggles the most with going ‘screen free’! The kids were quite up for it. Worth doing for families every now and again, I think. We all rely to heavily on screens.

2. Good luck with all your aims! I’m alcohol free all year round (muslim) so its easy for me, I tend to drink pepsi max or coffee for the caffeine.. thats the best i can suggest!

• Well I take my hat off to you Anna. I think it’s about creating a new habit. Diet coke is my favourite tipple but I can’t drink it in the evenings due to the caffeine :(

3. Well done on sticking to it! I haven’t drunk achohol in years but if you were to ask me to give up cherry coke, i would really struggle ha x

4. Isn’t it the best thing having a twitter group #dryjanuary to keep us accountable and off the booze? If it wasn’t for you guys, I’d have probably crumbled by now as i love the taste of wine/beer so. Sweet drinks are not my thing. That said, SingleLakesMum’s suggestion of Becks Blue beer is ok(ish) and I did the sneaky thing of not restocking up on normal beer so my OH isn’t drinking it either (yay!). Keep it up girl! We can do it…..

• I am loving our Twitter group – it’s been a life saver! I haven’t bought any more wine but he is buying his own at weekends. Hmmm!

• I’ve been meaning to do it for a very long time…

5. ha – my husband had a fairly similar response lol… And I must confess I had a couple of glasses of wine on Saturday but generally I am being much better and I really feel much better for it! Other than that – I’m getting fit again, putting a bit more into blogging, and trying to be a happier person all round really :) x

• I think the new year is great for getting us to change our outlook on life. Well done on reducing your alcohol intake, it’s def making me go to bed earlier!

6. Well done for the 13 days! You broke my no-chocolate record by 5 days here :) That is one tough goal to do, hope you make it! As for the rest of them, reading and adventures were on my list too, and are still not going well (I’ve read for an hour on Sunday morning and it will probably be all the reading time I get this week), I should add recycling more to it too. Thanks for reminding me!

• I gave up chocolate once for lent and by the time I got to the end of it, I didn’t really fancy even trying any! You’ve read more than me this week…

7. Well done you! Mr B and I have resolved to be ‘dry’ Monday to Friday for the foreseeable as we had got into a terrible habit of opening a bottle of wine most nights. We have stuck to it though and am actually beginning to find I don’t really want to drink on weekends either that much. It helps that we are exercising most nights too.

I aim to meal plan more this year as well. We throw away so much, it’s not right.

• Going forward, I think I will def do Monday to Friday, quite liberating :)

8. Great resolutions – well done for sticking to them! I love J20 – it comes in lots of different flavours and is very tasty.
    Well done on 13 days – have a great week
    #motivationalmonday

• I often order J2O when I’m out and about, just need to find a slightly cheaper alternative when at home of an evening. I imagine it might also be full of sugar!

9. No ironing! Haha! I’ve been successfully avoiding it for far too long long if the pile in the basket is anything to go by. At some point my husband will throw his hands up in the air, roll up his sleeves and do the lot in one marathon session, telling me to keep on top of it in future… aahhh deja vu…

• It has definitely reduced, so much so that my husband is willing to do it! Everyone’s a winner (well I am at least!).

10. These are great goals, and overall, you’re doing a good ob. I’m anxiously awaiting a screen-free day as I feel my laptop is about to kick the bucket and with my needing a screen reader and such, I can’t jsut go to the corner shop and buy a new one and hav eit work right away, I’m never going to plan a screen-free day for myself, but I see how with kids it’s a great idea. Remember when we were little we didn’t have screens except for the TV.

11. I haven’t been drinking so much this month, in fact not one yet but my excuse has been a cold so well done you for staying strong. I would like to add more screen free time/read a bloody book time to my list. I think I need it x

12. You’re so making me want wine – at breaking point! Need to lose some lard but I do love wine. Fabulous post Suzanne, I’m loving 365 too – such a great project. I’m doing a 2 day photography course at the back end of the year at Wisley (Christmas pressie). Always need more time outdoors – I love it. Today I did steer the buggy almost through a swamp before it poured with rain though – so muddy!

• You are my motivator for getting out and about more! I am trying to persuade my lot to do Winkworth Aboretum on Sunday…

13. Good luck :) I was doing pretty well until the free bottle of champagne from Waitrose turned up at the weekend!!!

• A free bottle?! Ok I wouldn’t be able to manage that either!

14. Well done in staying off the wine! I started off wanting to lose weight but that went by the wayside lol

15. I actually haven’t drunk since New Year’s Eve as I haven’t got round to shopping for vegan alcohol.I don’t drink at all really so I haven’t missed it.It’s great your recycling, check out The Rubbish Diet blog.Lots on inspirational ideas there.

16. Screen free day! Hmm, my J would appreciate it very much. Me being screen free, that is :-)

17. I absolutely love the way you’ve cut down on ironing! :)

18. Well done on getting to day 13! What about a nice perrier water with lots of ice and lemon? Also, and this may sound strange but I find if you put it in a fancy glass it feels more of a treat.

19. Er well you have done a lot better than me as i have had 4 days off my Dry January so far ;) oops

20. Good work, Suzanne! An impressive start to the year! I’m sure dry January will get easier as it goes on. Getting to grips with my camera was also on my goals list this year… Enjoying having fun with it! Think that ironing deal sounds fabulous!

21. Huge well done to you, I am happily in the cheeky glass of vino habit.

22. Sounds like you’re doing pretty well :) As a teetotaller, I don’t find the need to replace alcohol with something a bit like alcohol eg Shloer, I just drink what I like, which is water!

23. well done you! I’m doing vegan january but I would love to dry this next year! x

24. A great set of aims. Well done on your achievements so far.

25. Well done on sticking to things so far, you’re doing really well :) I have similar concerns about the screen free day, I think it will be me that fails completely… But, we’ll see!

26. I absolutely need a screen free day! Or even a few hours. I’m on my laptop and phone far too much! x

Submit a Comment