“I Hate School!”

My middle child doesn’t really enjoy school. If you ask her, she will say that her favourite subjects are break and lunchtime. She “hates” maths and science, “sometimes likes” english and finds the boys in her class “immature and annoying.” Get the picture?!
She isn’t a natural ‘learner’, certainly not one who seems to soak up all the information like a sponge and if I’m being perfectly frank, is a little bit *whispers* lazy, when it comes to school work. I find this frustrating at times (as do her teachers) because I often look at her work, knowing that she could have done better. The bare minimum seems adequate for her but even as I type these words, I feel a bit guilty because I know that I was exactly the same at school. Perhaps that’s why it’s frustrating?
I’m being totally honest here when I say that for the first few parents evenings of her school life, I would come away disappointed. Don’t we all secretly hope that the teachers will describe our ‘little darlings’ as the most talented or intellectually gifted child they have ever seen? Or perhaps that’s just me….
Over the years I have realised that this is never going to be something that is said about my child. But that’s ok because I still look forward to every parents evening. Why? Because The Tween is a pleaser and wonderfully helpful and kind to others. At parents evening I repeatedly hear sentences such as “she’s the model pupil”, “always so helpful and willing to please”, “I know that when I give her a task she will just get on with it, without any fuss”.

And I burst with pride, ‘cos that’s my girl they’re talking about!
This year she entered secondary school and I wondered whether she would just be a ‘small fish in a big pond’, with no one really knowing who she is. It’s the academic ones that tend to stand out isn’t it? At our secondary school they have a credits and warnings system (you can probably guess how this works) and as parents we can tap into the system whenever we like, to see how our child is doing.
At the end of every term, they hold an assembly where the form and the child(ren) with the most credits are congratulated and invited on to the stage. The Tween came home on the last day of term with a certificate. She was one of only 6 children in the whole year (about 150) who had gained more than 200 credits so far this year. She seemed fairly non-plussed about the whole thing (hence the screwed up certificate left to rot at retrieved from the bottom of her bag!) but I can’t tell you how proud I was.

Of course I would love to see a little more of this helpful, kind and ‘willing to please’ attitude at home (wouldn’t we all?) but I’m thrilled that this is the kind of behaviour she displays at school. Why am I surprised that she can’t keep it up 24/7?  She’s got to let off steam somewhere and I would much rather it be at home (behind closed doors) than at school!
Today it’s my turn to host ‘Loud n Proud’. If you’d like to share a personal achievement or your child has done something you want to shout about (in a good way!) link up your posts below and grab the badge to display somewhere on your blog.

3 Children and It

38 Comments on “I Hate School!”

1. The Reading Residence
    April 17, 2014 at 6:45 am (3 years ago)

Oh, well done to her, that’s a brilliant achievement! Though I love how unimpressed she was by it herself!

2. mel cowlishaw
    April 17, 2014 at 7:03 am (3 years ago)

I can’t imagine anyone with a wee smiley face like that isn’t ‘willing to please’ at all times!

April 17, 2014 at 3:12 pm (3 years ago)

Yes, she does have that amazing ability to look like butter wouldn’t melt 😉

3. Tas D
    April 17, 2014 at 7:34 am (3 years ago)

Being only one of 6 is amazing – well done to her!! :)

4. Amanda Masters
    April 17, 2014 at 7:57 am (3 years ago)

Such a fantastic achievement. Being helpful, kind and ‘willing to please’ are wonderful traits to have.

5. SarahMummy
    April 17, 2014 at 7:58 am (3 years ago)

Well done to her, that’s a real achievement. It’s great when secondary schools focus on these positives, it would be so easy for the average intelligence, well behaved kids to go unnoticed. PS this is yet another way she is exactly like my eldest!

April 17, 2014 at 3:12 pm (3 years ago)

Yes I am thrilled that our school views things this way :)

6. afra willmore
    April 17, 2014 at 8:22 am (3 years ago)

Congratulations – my daughter is exactly the same -she got to secondary school and found her hidden wings!

7. Broody Me
    April 17, 2014 at 10:00 am (3 years ago)

Congratulations! I get so frustrated with my son who’s taking his GCSEs next month because he won’t do any revision whatsoever but I know I was exactly the same and as stubborn as a mule so I just have to try and chill out. I know he’ll do fine anyway!

8. Michelle Ashmore
    April 17, 2014 at 11:42 am (3 years ago)

My son is the same at school, the minimum he can get away with will suffice! He’s just chosen his options so I’m hoping he’ll start working harder now he’s going to be doing lessons he likes!
    Well done to your daughter on the certificate :)

9. Sonia
    April 17, 2014 at 12:31 pm (3 years ago)

That is so lovely! A huge well done to her :) I was pretty much the same at school and I dread my kids being the same, really hope they take after their academic Daddy and not their rebellious Mummy 😉 x

10. Hurrah For Gin
    April 17, 2014 at 1:51 pm (3 years ago)

Wow that’s amazing – not surprised you are proud. TBH its the most important quality to posses.
    p.s i was pretty much the same at school, when i went to university and chose a subject i liked it was a completely different story.

April 17, 2014 at 3:11 pm (3 years ago)

I was the same. I didn’t start working until I got to university either. As soon as she finds something she loves, I think she will excel. Sadly at the moment it’s all about the 3 Rs :(

11. Hellies Corner
    April 17, 2014 at 2:42 pm (3 years ago)

Well done to you daughter, she looks very smart and happy in her uniform. Not everyone can be at the top, there’s not enough room!! as long as they do as well as they can, it’ll all workout for them in the long run :-)

April 17, 2014 at 3:10 pm (3 years ago)

Thank you. I also think that a ‘willing to please’ attitude is what gets you further in life :)

12. Agata Pokutycka
    April 17, 2014 at 3:12 pm (3 years ago)

Well done. This is a great achievement. 1 of 6 from 150… truly great

13. Nayna Kanabar
    April 17, 2014 at 4:31 pm (3 years ago)

Well done , its always good to know that parents support their children through all stages of schooling and help them come through successful without judging.

14. Louisa
    April 17, 2014 at 4:44 pm (3 years ago)

An absolutely brilliant achievement! My youngest son is very similar, he loves to help but isn’t ever going to be the top of the class. My eldest daughter is a super brain but the least helpful child in the world ever. I know which trait I prefer! 😉

15. Sara Murray
    April 17, 2014 at 5:15 pm (3 years ago)

This is brilliant Suzanne! These are the qualities that will get her far in life; social skills, empathy and a willingness to get on with things are essential to being successful in whatever she chooses to do. No wonder you’re proud of her x

16. Jess Paterson
    April 17, 2014 at 5:19 pm (3 years ago)

What a little star! I’d rather have one of those than a genius who’s a sociopath 😉 I often tell myself I’m glad it’s at home that the Behaviour comes out…but I agree it would be nice to see a teeny bit of school manners at home. X

17. Steph Douglas
    April 17, 2014 at 7:31 pm (3 years ago)

Well done Tween! So at Buster’s nursery when we were discussing that he can be a terror at home but is never naughty at nursery, they said it’s a sign of confidence and security as they play up for you to test boundaries because they know they can, but behave well in ‘public’. Appreciate she’s not a toddler, but maybe same idea. Might be a load of tripe, but I liked it!

November 21, 2014 at 9:23 am (2 years ago)

Absolutely the same idea Steph and I’m so glad it’s me who sees the bad behaviour and not the school to be honest!

18. FranglaiseMummy
    April 17, 2014 at 7:51 pm (3 years ago)

Certainly something to be proud of! Well done both of you. And I agree, if they’re going to be well behaved somewhere then it’s best that the place be school 😉

19. Debbie Johnson
    April 17, 2014 at 8:22 pm (3 years ago)

Wow! What a fantastic achievement, and what wonderful qualities to have been recognised. And now you can add modest! Love that you found it in the bottom of her bag :)

20. dragonsflypoppy
    April 17, 2014 at 8:38 pm (3 years ago)

She has done so well – I remember when she started at big school and your worries for her. It’s been lovely for your readers to see how she has developed. So wonderful and quite right you are proud xx

21. Emma Martin
    April 17, 2014 at 9:04 pm (3 years ago)

Oh Suzanne, this is just lovely! In my teaching days I loved a wee pupil like this. Smiles and a kind, helpful nature will take her far in life. She will find her little niche academically after a while, but a sunny outlook and lovely attitude? That’s something that can’t be learnt. Xx

22. pixiedusk
    April 17, 2014 at 9:07 pm (3 years ago)

Aww congrats for this! I think that it makes it much cooler that she is chill about this recognition =) #SSAA

23. Lana
    April 18, 2014 at 2:13 am (3 years ago)

Suzanne – I found your blog through Google + and I’m loving it so far. I am a newborn blogger with two teenage sons, and it’s so hard to find other ladies in blogland who have older children. Looking forward to coming back to read more!

November 21, 2014 at 9:24 am (2 years ago)

Oh that’s great Lana. Thank you for saying so and for reading too of course!

24. Jenny Ripatti-Taylor
    April 18, 2014 at 9:13 am (3 years ago)

I love her beautiful eager to please smile you wouldn’t think she hated school. haha Great achievement though thats amazing. Loud and proud indeed. Happy Easter my lovely. #pocolo

25. DannyUK
    April 18, 2014 at 9:53 am (3 years ago)

Congratulations to her! I remember being relatively non-plussed by certain achievements at school too. They were the days!

26. Super Busy Mum {debs}
    April 18, 2014 at 7:34 pm (3 years ago)

What a lovely post and what a great achievement too!!! Congratulations to your daughter! #PoCoLo

27. Sian PottyMouthedMummy
    April 18, 2014 at 8:56 pm (3 years ago)

I definitely think her attitude at school is a bigger thing to be proud of than academic results, I wish some of the people I work with now have this skill!

Congrats to the tween :)

28. Emily Tealady
    April 18, 2014 at 10:17 pm (3 years ago)

thats lovely. What a great achievement. X

29. Claire
    April 18, 2014 at 11:13 pm (3 years ago)

Love this… And as a teacher, I can honestly say, character is worth bucketloads more than success :-)

30. sharon powell
    April 19, 2014 at 8:28 am (3 years ago)

That is an amazing achievement! Well done to her x #LoudnProud

31. Victoria Welton
    April 20, 2014 at 3:18 pm (3 years ago)

This is so wonderful to see. I have to say that manners is an attitude that goes so much further in my book than academic achievement. I would rather Grace was kind and understanding than intellectual and unfeeling :) Thank you for linking to PoCoLo :) X

32. Jane Roberts
    April 22, 2014 at 9:48 am (3 years ago)

This is fantastic and I love the way you can log on to see how your child is doing. So different from when we went to school. I think your daughter receives lovely comments at parents evening. Perhaps she is saving up throwing herself into all of the subjects when it is the exams year, I really wish I had done it this way ;0)

Thanks for linking up with Small Steps Amazing Achievements :0)
    x