Look Who’s Talking

Do you remember the moment you finally deciphered those first few words? I distinctly recall the excitement on recognising “dada”, “mum mum” and “hello” coming from my then 10 month old daughter’s mouth. We encouraged her speech, finding it endearing and of course being first time parents, were also super proud of her ability to speak from such a young age.
Approximately 5 months later came the first sentence: “my do it” and this was said daily, around 2354 times. Or so it seemed. It was her favourite phrase, particularly when it came to dinner time….
Feeding was a long drawn out process with the spoon being discarded in favour of fingers and even lasagne being wolfed in this fairly uncouth (and disgustingly messy) manner. My daughter is and has always been fiercely independent. If I wanted to get her to eat anything, this was the only way. Trust me, I tried various diversion techniques but to no avail!
Now this child is a Teenager, we have moved on from “my do it” to a variety of other equally irritating phrases. To follow are some of her current favourites:

“Hang on”

Translation: I have no intention of doing it but hopefully this will keep you off my back for a little longer.

“In a minute”

Translation: Leave me alone I will do it when I feel like it but most probably will forget.

“I’M DOING IT!

Translation: I’m not actually doing it but as I said, I will do it in a minute.

“Sorry I forgot”

Translation: I’m not  really sorry but if I start with that, my oversight is likely to be forgiven quicker.
But the most recent addition (and by far the most irritating of the lot), is the silent treatment. When a cursory nod or shake of the head is used in favour of a verbal response. Being in another room and consequently none the wiser, I am forced to repeat (rather loudly) the  initial question which is then met with a resounding: “I heard you!” Also uttered at a slightly louder pitch than necessary.
Every child, no matter what age, has at some point been taught, cajoled and encouraged to speak.  He/she then perfects a rather long repertoire of intensely annoying phrases which said parent subsequently attempts to remove from his/her vocabulary. Now THAT must be irritating!
What’s your child’s current most irritating favourite phrase, repeated ad nauseam?

* * *
If you enjoyed this post and think I deserve to win the MAD (Mum and Dad) Award for ‘Best School Days Blog’ then I would love your vote. Just click on the badge below and remember that voting closes on 24th April. Thank you so much for even getting me to the finals. x

MAD Blog Awards

35 Comments on Look Who’s Talking

1. Louisa
    April 14, 2014 at 8:23 am (1 year ago)

In our house Belle’s favourite phrase is “In a minute” which means never.
    Fran just keeps saying “Poo” to everything!

April 14, 2014 at 10:28 pm (1 year ago)

Oh yes, the joys of the “poo poo” phase!

2. SarahMummy
    April 14, 2014 at 8:33 am (1 year ago)

The scary thing is I say ‘In a minute’ and ‘I’m doing it’ when it’s not actually true either.
    We’re not quite at the eye-rolling silent treatment, but what really annoys me is when my daughter tells one of her brothers something and they don’t respond, so she assumes they haven’t heard and says it again. And again. Until they yell that they’ve heard her. Why not just acknowledge it in the first place and save everyone (me) a lot of noise and stress?!

April 14, 2014 at 5:19 pm (1 year ago)

And that is the exact conversation that goes on in our house “if you had just answered me in the first place, the agro wouldn’t have been necessary!”. *Whispers* I think I probably say “in a minute too”…

3. Rachel - 3yearsandhome
    April 14, 2014 at 8:50 am (1 year ago)

In a minute is one of my phrases which roughly translates to ‘some time in the next half an hour’. But I think that’s pretty common amongst mums when you have fifty million things on the go. My three year old currently say ‘look, mama’ every few seconds. Everything he does needs to be looked at by his mama. It’s pretty cute though. The little one shouts ‘mama’, ‘kiss’ and ‘pickup’ all the time but that’s because they’re all that he can say :-)

4. Sonya Cisco
    April 14, 2014 at 9:11 am (1 year ago)

Yup, I recognise all those things, and like Sarah – I too am guilty of ‘in a minute’ and then forget whatever it was I said I would do in a minute! Syd has hit that age where he is so pleased with his speaking that he doesn’t stop, not even to breathe…..

5. Kate Thompson
    April 14, 2014 at 9:51 am (1 year ago)

lol – so true! Made me smile, the “In a minute” phrase is SPOT ON with teenagers! (And husbands…)

6. Jen Walshaw
    April 14, 2014 at 9:54 am (1 year ago)

Yep, very family. My boys hear, but don’t listen and definatly dont respond!

7. Sylvia F.
    April 14, 2014 at 10:24 am (1 year ago)

In a minutes is my phrase! But it never happens in coming minutes I would rather say it happens in coming hours :)

8. Sonia
    April 14, 2014 at 10:45 am (1 year ago)

My 3 yr old is OBSESSED with asking ‘what’s your name?’ every single minute of every single day and if I don’t reply with my FULL name he goes bonkers! It is driving me insane lol!

9. Joanna Imran
    April 14, 2014 at 11:49 am (1 year ago)

Little Mr is very vocal, but so far no recognisable words here ;) My little cousin though asks everyone “what’s the matter” quite randomly lol!

10. Michelle Ashmore
    April 14, 2014 at 12:08 pm (1 year ago)

Kaycee went through a stage of saying Soz instead of sorry in a way that showed she wasn’t at all sorry and was only saying it under duress! It irritated the life out of me because it sounded so disrespectful. The thing is, I used to say it to my dad in the same way and I never understood why he had a problem with me saying soz. I now know it’s because of the way it’s said and not the actual word! Kaycee’s only 8. I’m not looking forward to the teenage years :os

11. Jess Paterson
    April 14, 2014 at 1:26 pm (1 year ago)

Oh my gosh, this is so true! When do we lose the right to get a simple acknowledgement from our child heard us?! Mine drive me mad with catchphrases from cartoons from the 80s that they’ve found on Netflix. The inexplicable “Tollar” being one. It’s not even a word! Great post!

April 14, 2014 at 5:18 pm (1 year ago)

Another one here is “and stuff” used at the end of every sentence grrr!

12. Carly
    April 14, 2014 at 2:04 pm (1 year ago)

Bang on! Those words and the meanings will never be the same again! You’ve got a great blog and we couldn’t resist telling our readers about it here http://familymedicinecabinet.co.uk/the-things-kids-say/. Keep up the great work!
    By the way…I’m quietly nodding my head here – I know you can’t hear me, but I agree with what you’re saying!

April 14, 2014 at 5:17 pm (1 year ago)

That’s very kind of you. Thank you so much :)

13. You Baby Me Mummy
    April 14, 2014 at 7:00 pm (1 year ago)

Great post :) We have a lot of Da Da, sometimes aimed at Mr Hubby, but not convinced it is a proper word yet. x

14. You Baby Me Mummy
    April 14, 2014 at 7:01 pm (1 year ago)

Great post, we have a lot of Da Da sometimes aimed at Mr Hubby but not convinced it is a proper word yet x

15. Kate Williams
    April 14, 2014 at 7:42 pm (1 year ago)

Oh, I’ve been getting the silent treatment from the three year old today!! Though yesterday I got ‘mummy naughty’ to great shreaks of delight and I get ‘silly mummy’ quite a lot too ;)

16. Hurrah For Gin
    April 14, 2014 at 7:53 pm (1 year ago)

I am still in the age of chatty chatty chat, being the apple of my boys eyes and constant requests to ‘race cars’. I am half looking forward to the silent treatment lol x

17. Vicky Myers
    April 14, 2014 at 8:24 pm (1 year ago)

Interesting post:) I am often reminded that I have said in a minute & promptly forgotten to do whatever was asked!!! Youngest currently loves the lines “I like to move it move, I like to MOVE it” from the Madagascar film – never a truer word sung:)

18. Katie Albury
    April 14, 2014 at 8:57 pm (1 year ago)

Ah this is cute! the baby I look after is currently wearing me down with “Whats that?” a zillion times a day! x

19. Kirsty Phillipson-Lowe
    April 14, 2014 at 9:30 pm (1 year ago)

My do it :-) that’s so cute! The twins favourite at the moment is “mummy doing?” Or “what’s that?” Whilst cupping an ear :-) x

20. Actually Mummy...
    April 14, 2014 at 9:30 pm (1 year ago)

Oh god we are approaching this ourselves now. I get a lot of impatient squeals out of GG at the moment.

21. Sara Murray
    April 15, 2014 at 12:45 am (1 year ago)

Great post, my almost eight year old is already starting to come out with some of these. I heard you is a particular favourite!

22. Sarah-Louise Bailey
    April 15, 2014 at 1:26 am (1 year ago)

Great post – I don’t have kids so I can’t answer with what they like to say but I can image hearing the same thing over and over turns from an amazing sound to one that is quite annoying. x

23. wendy
    April 15, 2014 at 1:39 pm (1 year ago)

Great post and I am totally with you on the silent treatment is the worst. We also get the grunt from our teen when ever we ask her anything

24. Agata Pokutycka
    April 15, 2014 at 3:14 pm (1 year ago)

One of our girls has this saying “I am almost asleep”… every night the same phrase yelled at me while she is still playing on DS or reading the book or running between rooms in urgent need of finding something very important… but she is almost asleep already :-)

25. Hellies Corner
    April 15, 2014 at 3:20 pm (1 year ago)

My teen seems to answer ‘I don’t know’ to every question I ask, I think he must walk around with his eyes and ears closed!!

26. Oh so amelia
    April 15, 2014 at 8:07 pm (1 year ago)

haha great post, my toddler is always saying nooooooooooo! x

27. Debbie Johnson
    April 15, 2014 at 9:17 pm (1 year ago)

I remember ‘oh dear’ being my daughter’s- she used to drop things, just to be able to say it. Even the nursery got slightly fed up of it.
    Now at 5, 3, and 3 they have discovered “I’m bored”. They have little understanding of what it means but they know it winds me up!

28. Orli D
    April 16, 2014 at 10:57 pm (1 year ago)

Oh, the joy of teenagers… :) I have to say my youngest is in his “all by myself” stage, especially when it applies to things he shouldn’t or can’t do by himself…
    My eldest, at a minute to tween, has simply abandoned talking and when he gets upset or angry just moved on to growling…

29. Kara Guppy
    April 17, 2014 at 5:40 am (1 year ago)

I recognise ALL those and it is soooooo frustrating. We also get the grunts and stomping up the stairs when yu finally push them to do whatever you have asked too

30. Judith Hurrell
    May 1, 2014 at 10:36 pm (1 year ago)

Ha! Three year old is still in verbal overdrive at the moment – ‘actually mummy, I need to tell you something, right now’ features a lot. Then when I sit down to listen, he just repeats cbeebies phrases at me – mostly facts about dinosaurs. Loving it, my but God, I’m running out of ‘genuinely interested’ sounding responses. Only so much time T Rex can hold my attention… Great post. x