Falling off the pedestal

Embarrassing Mum

Throughout most of my children’s early years (bar the Terrible Twos which I’ve successfully blotted from the memory bank) I could do no wrong. When presented with a choice of who to sit next to, it would be me. When walking along the street, the hand they would fight for would be mine. And at bed time? It would invariably be me who would be given the auspicious title of chief story-teller and goodnight kisser.

Then all of a sudden, without prior warning, things changed. I became the butt of the jokes, the total embarrassment, the one who it is seemingly ok to mock at every opportunity.

If you are hoping to avoid this transition (who wouldn’t?) then to follow are just a few of the things that my children find either hugely funny or deeply embarrassing. I suggest where possible, you try to avoid them from this day forward….

• Me falling over.
  • Me whooping (too loudly) as I fall over.
  • Me laughing with my mouth wide open.
  • Me laughing.
  • Me singing along to the radio using the wrong words.
  • Me singing along to the radio.
  • Me attempting to use language seemingly inappropriate for my generation (‘lol’, ‘banter’ and ‘hench’ to name but a few).
  • Me sneezing too loudly in public.
  • Me making any noise in public.
  • Me doing anything in public.
  • Me talking to strangers.
  • Me leaving the house looking slightly less groomed than is acceptable.
  • Me stopping to take a photograph.
  • Me breathing in a certain heavy, rhythmic pattern.
  • Me breathing.

And the absolute worst thing of all. The one that no one will ever forget…..

• Me falling off the button lift on our ski holiday last year*.

Sadly, somewhere between the ages of 8 and 11, every primary care-giver is knocked off the pedestal in spectacular style. That hand that was once eagerly proffered? Snatched away in one swift move. That look of adoration that you have come to know and love? Replaced with one of disdain (see photo above).

And before you think that you will be exempt from this particular parenting milestone (I too fell into this trap), it has happened with all of my children. Bar none.

If When this happens, you have two choices: (a) to wallow in self-pity or (b) to laugh at yourself. Ok I’ll admit it, at times I might have been known to mutter something ridiculous about being bullied by my own offspring, but on the whole? I’ve found that it’s better to laugh along with them. After all, which reaction would I rather my children pick up on? I know I would always prefer to hang out with someone who can take a joke, over someone who is super-sensitive and grumpy.

Have you reached this point yet? Or are you still basking in the glory of being numero uno?

*Do not ever attempt to take matters into your own hands, thinking you can avoid the inevitable. Hanging on to the button lift for as long as is humanly possible, is not a good move. You will not be able to haul yourself back onto it (no matter how hard you try) and it only prolongs the emotional pain for your offspring. Never mind the physical pain for you.

Mums' Days
And then the fun began...

39 Comments on Falling off the pedestal

1. The Reading Residence
    August 19, 2015 at 8:27 am (2 years ago)

I am still basking here, with a 5yo and 2yo, but I know that this time will come, it does feel inevitable. I’ll enjoy basking for as long as I can…
    The Reading Residence recently posted…Summer Learning with Reading EggsMy Profile

2. Notmyyearoff
    August 19, 2015 at 9:06 am (2 years ago)

I was just going to say exactly the same as Reading residence, Z thinks I’m pretty cool right now, but he does think his Daddy is the bees knees of coolness. I wonder how long this is going to last. I just love that photo of you with your daughter!! 😀
    Notmyyearoff recently posted…How to have a second pregnancyMy Profile

August 19, 2015 at 11:26 am (2 years ago)

Oh dear! What a list! Dare I say that, although I’m not allowed to sing or dance in public or hold my boys’ hands, they’re actually never horrible to me and never call me embarrassing?! I realise I’m very lucky and no doubt it will change at some point, but I’m going to enjoy still being my daughter’s absolute favourite and not embarrassing my boys for as long as possible!
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…Cheltenham half marathon 2015: The end of the roadMy Profile

• Suzanne
      August 27, 2015 at 6:19 pm (1 year ago)

I do wonder if boys might be slightly less harsh on their mums? I know that my son is embarrassed (he goes red as soon as I sing or dance in public!) but he doesn’t like to hurt my feelings where possible.
      Suzanne recently posted…The one with the ‘back to school’ shopping tripMy Profile

• Samantha K
        September 2, 2015 at 6:12 pm (1 year ago)

No,boys are not easier. My 12 year old regularly rolls his eyes, tuts and would rather cross the road!! Still, I know he loves me really as he will still snuggle up on the sofa when no-one is looking!

4. chickenruby
    August 19, 2015 at 12:29 pm (2 years ago)

there is a light at the end of the tunnel, i’m now out the other side and my kids now encourage me to join in, be silly and have fun, mind you, i only see them a couple of times a year now they’ve left home and one at a time, which i suppose makes a difference
    chickenruby recently posted…Home made healthy dog treats with #AnimalTalesMy Profile

5. Mummy Plum
    August 19, 2015 at 4:55 pm (2 years ago)

I fear I am doomed as I don’t even know what ‘hench’ means. Luckily the 6 year old doesn’t either but I guess my toppling isn’t that far away *sobs*.

August 27, 2015 at 5:25 pm (1 year ago)

Best not to try and keep up with the lingo – at least you won’t try and use it in awkward moments!

August 19, 2015 at 10:27 pm (2 years ago)

If I knew then what I know now? I would have indulged in it for as long as possible!

6. Caroline (Becoming a SAHM)
    August 20, 2015 at 6:46 am (2 years ago)

Great post, I remember thinking the same abut my mum so I know that day will come! Love your attitude about it though so will remember that but in the meantime I am going to enjoying basking
    Caroline (Becoming a SAHM) recently posted…Potty Training at Age 3My Profile

7. Izzie Anderton
    August 20, 2015 at 1:59 pm (2 years ago)

I’m sure if you ask all three of your kids they’ll admit to still loving you no matter what. I’ve been through this phase with my two and am happy to report that we’ve come full circle and I’m no longer an embarrassment. I guess you have a long way to go until that happens as mine are almost 21 years of age. Good luck x
    Izzie Anderton recently posted…The Week That Was…My Profile

8. Lindsay @ Newcastle Family Life
    August 20, 2015 at 4:30 pm (2 years ago)

Oh this has happened in my house recently as my 12 year old laughs at me everyday and refuses to go places with me in case I show her up, she often says LOL out loud to me. I have two younger children so I am going to enjoy the hand holding for that bit longer as I know how soon it is over x #sharewithme
    Lindsay @ Newcastle Family Life recently posted…Jacob You Are OneMy Profile

9. Tim
    August 20, 2015 at 11:06 pm (2 years ago)

I think I’m fast approaching this point – Isaac turns 8 towards the end of the year, and I think my sweet little eldest son is starting to realise that maybe his old man isn’t quite as cool and perfect as he’s been led to believe. (Now I wonder who might have given him that impression …) In particular, I’m already getting lectures about my waistline (too big) and my eating choices (too unhealthy). The sad thing is that he’s absolutely right. Git.
    Tim recently posted…A day out at the Beaulieu National Motor MuseumMy Profile

10. Siobhan @ Everyone Else is Normal
    August 20, 2015 at 11:49 pm (2 years ago)

Hah! So funny and SO true for me! Eek, I think I am possibly the most embarrassing mum of all time at the moment (and she’s only 11!), but then I am a bit of a nutter. Note to self: must try harder, esp now she’s starting secondary school….
    Siobhan @ Everyone Else is Normal recently posted…Summer holiday cancelled. Again. (Yes really)My Profile

11. You Baby Me Mummy
    August 21, 2015 at 11:29 pm (2 years ago)

This is so funny but made me so sad! I never want to fall off the pedestal! Great post huni. Thanks for linking up to #TheList x
    You Baby Me Mummy recently posted…The List #50My Profile

August 25, 2015 at 10:07 pm (1 year ago)

Is he a boy? You might get a lucky escape. Or one that just wants to please his mummy, like mine – he reluctantly asks me to stop dancing sometimes but hates to hurt my feelings!

August 25, 2015 at 10:06 pm (1 year ago)

*Nods* I think they might! But secretly, deep down, they’ll love you for being such great fun :) x

12. Sonya Cisco
    August 25, 2015 at 7:28 am (1 year ago)

Embarrassing them is our revenge for the sleepness nights tho right, I rather enjoy that bit! I was prob lucky so far, Betsy wasn’t especially like this – a bit but not very and she has come out the other side of it now – as will your lot! Now I am back on the pedestal for her, albeit a slightly more truthful pedestal – she knows I am fallible, get things wrong but also that I do my best and she still thinks I am awesome, so in some ways it is even better!
    Sonya Cisco recently posted…Debenhams Back-To-School CompetitionMy Profile

August 25, 2015 at 10:05 pm (1 year ago)

Gosh you are lucky….or cool. I think I know which 😉

13. Betty and the Bumps
    August 25, 2015 at 10:25 am (1 year ago)

“Me breathing” … I love this list! My daughter, Gwenn, is almost 2 and a half and I am literally the sun, moon and stars at the moment so I’m not having to constantly worry about putting a foot wrong! x

#thetruthabout
    Betty and the Bumps recently posted…A long weekend …My Profile

August 25, 2015 at 10:05 pm (1 year ago)

Lap it ALL up!

14. Sam
    August 25, 2015 at 10:25 pm (1 year ago)

That list is hysterical. But actually, yeah, I think I probably felt this way about my own (wonderful!) mum back in the day. Or maybe it was my sister… Funny that Lottie has linked a very similar post this week about being considered an ‘uncool’ mum of teenagers. I will be even more embarassing to my two no doubt being that much older :-) Xx #thetruthabout
    Sam recently posted…BackchatterMy Profile

15. John Adams
    August 26, 2015 at 7:04 am (1 year ago)

I’m going to have to stop reading blogs written by people that have older children than mine. I’m rapidly realising my kids won’t be as affectionate in future and that all they’re going to want to do is play computer games. Life is going to change in a huge way isn’t it? In other news, I’m off to look up “hench” on Urban Dictionary. #thetruthabout
    John Adams recently posted…Five famous stay at home dadsMy Profile

16. Pen
    August 26, 2015 at 10:45 am (1 year ago)

Great post. My parents were a constant source of hilarity when I was a teenager. They still are and we have a great relationship. Definitely opt for option B. Good luck and keep laughing. x
    Pen recently posted…The only single person at a wedding: dos and don’tsMy Profile

17. jenny
    August 26, 2015 at 12:29 pm (1 year ago)

First off Suz I love the way your daughter is looking at you here hahahah It’s the way I remember looking at my own mother thinking she is being silly because I was too cool to join her silliness. I wish we could avoid this but I know I will experience this too with my two when they get to that age bracket. Its inevitable. Great post!!! Thanks for linking up to Share With Me. I hope to see you again soon. #sharewithme
    jenny recently posted…Share With Me ~ #34My Profile

18. Elaine Livingstone
    August 27, 2015 at 7:52 pm (1 year ago)

but then later down the line you get grandchildren looking at you adoringly, holding your hand and walking up the street with you when they will not be seen in public with their mother.
    Elaine Livingstone recently posted…Online shopping for holiday essentialsMy Profile

19. Anita Cleare
    September 8, 2015 at 8:00 am (1 year ago)

Let’s face it, there’s nothing we can do that isn’t embarrassing. Might as well just accept just how far down the food chain we have fallen in our teens’ eyes and store up the anecdotes for choice moments in the future (when they bring the new boyfriend home, the wedding speech, lots of FB posts!). Just wait till I am geriatric – they’ll see just how embarrassing I can really be 😉
    Anita Cleare recently posted…How do I stop the nightly homework fights?My Profile

20. Dannyuk.com
    January 18, 2016 at 11:53 am (1 year ago)

Oh, I’ve suffered this as well! From being at the centre of their universe, I am now the one that the kids gang up on when we play board games, or the one who they roll their eyes at for ANY reason at all!
    Dannyuk.com recently posted…Embarrassing kids – part 2! More stories to read.My Profile