How Old?

Happy 27th Birthday

Today is my birthday. I’m 27. Again. Do you have an eternal age that you seem to be stuck at? In my head I’m 27 and am totally ok with that….until my children remind me in their oh-so-subtle manner that I’m nearer double that (and look it too).

The fact is, no one is getting any younger but certain people are not helping my gradual (not really) acceptance of that truth, least of all the celebrities who seem to look younger every time they appear on my TV screen – I’m looking at you Barbara Windsor and Carol Vonderman.

“She’s older than you mummy, but looks SO much younger – no lines or anything!”. Yeah, thanks for that.

I keep coming across wonderfully liberating magazine articles about people ‘finding themselves’ at 40, finally being comfortable with their bodies and annihilating the myth that women over 40 are not good at trying anything new (did you see The Apprentice last week? Tsk).

Me? I just seem unable to do it. Try as I might, my head simply cannot embrace the ageing process that my body seems hell-bent on forging ahead with. Whilst I am 100% against any form of plastic surgery or chemical intervention, I just cannot get used to the fact that I’m no longer wolf-whistle material, that I’m old enough to be the mother of half the people in my office and that I cannot legitimately try anything on in Top Shop (formerly my ‘go to’ for jeans) any more, let alone make a purchase.

I guess you could say that I’m grieving for my younger self and no amount of fabulous articles about 40 being the new 30, is changing that. To follow are just a few of the things I’m pining after….

• Being able to wave enthusiastically, without one half of my arm being on a 2-second delay.
  • Not needing to unfold my face/fill in the cracks of a morning.
  • Being able to spontaneously go to the swimming pool without needing at least a 30-minute warning.
  • The £200 per month that I spend on de-fuzzing, covering greys and bi-monthly back maintenance.
  • Not having to take a pair of tweezers wherever I go – how do those nasty black hairs sprout up so quickly?
  • The “no way, you cannot possibly be that old” comments that my younger self used to bat off on a weekly basis.
  • Being able to spring out of bed without the need to do various yoga-style stretches en route to the bathroom.
  • Not having to vet every photograph of me and actually keeping more than I delete.
  • Going to the gym in a normal bra. No scaffolding required (TMI?)
  • Not having to think twice before bouncing on a trampoline (definitely TMI).

So what’s a girl* to do? I think I have two choices: 1) Continue living in my little 27-year-old fantasy land whilst perfecting my new birth date of 20/10/88; or 2) start knocking around with people at least a decade older than me.

What do you think? I’m open to ideas. In the meantime….

Happy 27th Birthday to me.

* For the record – I am still a ‘girl’.

And then the fun began...

19 Comments on How Old?

November 5, 2015 at 9:17 am (1 year ago)

Why thank you Angela. Us young ones should still together 😉

1. Amanda
    October 20, 2015 at 8:51 am (1 year ago)

Oh this did make me giggle!
    Growing older is such a hard thing to process, our brains never seem to catch up to our physical age.
    I seem to flit between feeling 27 or 29 depending on how tired I am, I could have screamed with excitement when Ethan asked if I was 21, obviously he’s after something, and he can have it if he keeps this up.
    Amanda recently posted…Dawn AwakeningMy Profile

November 5, 2015 at 9:18 am (1 year ago)

Ha ha kids’ honesty can be a great thing….sometimes!

October 20, 2015 at 11:36 am (1 year ago)

Whaaat! People who are 27 were born in 1988?! But hasn’t 1988 only just happened?!
    I used to love the ‘no way, you can’t be that old’ comments and used to be proud of being older than I looked, but now I don’t think I’m older than I look :(
    I think hanging around with people a decade older is the only answer.
    Happy 27th birthday!
    (Apparently my MIL is still a ‘girl’ too – I’ve seen the FB pics!)
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…Happy birthday, 12 year old boy!My Profile

November 5, 2015 at 9:19 am (1 year ago)

I know Sarah, I had to recalculate this many times over too! 1988?! Wowzers.

3. Tattooed Mummy
    October 20, 2015 at 3:37 pm (1 year ago)

Yes hang around with me – I’ll be 50 soon and I feel all your pain! It would be funny if it wasn’t so sad and true….I had a nightmare the other night about my bikini line getting out of control…a permanent fear of hair can’t be normal…oh..have to go, I feel chin stubble that needs attention.

Happy Birthday
    Tattooed Mummy recently posted…It’s not the winning it’s the taking partMy Profile

November 5, 2015 at 9:20 am (1 year ago)

Hilarious! I have this one black hair which insists on sprouting out in the same place about every 6 weeks. When I forget and brush past it whilst otherwise engaged – oh dear :( I don’t have many 50-year old friends so yeah, we can be buddy up 😉

4. Sara | mumturnedmom
    October 20, 2015 at 6:51 pm (1 year ago)

Happy Birthday! I can relate to almost all of these (thankfully no need for the tweezers, yet). I don’t get the ‘you can’t possibly be that old’ comments nearly often enough anymore, they used to be my go-to for a bit of self esteem boosting… The days of getting ID’d in M&S are over :( Having said that, I’m still about 24 in my head…
    Sara | mumturnedmom recently posted…How to navigate life with a tween: the journey beginsMy Profile

November 5, 2015 at 9:20 am (1 year ago)

The last time I was asked for ID I had just given birth to my third child so was about 31. That was the last time – kids age you, that’s for sure!

5. Sam
    October 20, 2015 at 10:09 pm (1 year ago)

Brilliant Suzanne! (Happy Birthday/commiserations!)I can relate to so much of this too. Its maybe even harder to face up to it when you are the kind of person who has always looked younger than their years in the past. I remember when I went on a Trek Australia holiday at the age of 34 (I was between husbands!) along with some girls in their early 20s and feeling so old and unattractive and past it when we went to a couple of bars where they were automatically id-ed (and I most pointedly wasn’t!). I definitely feel a bit weird going anywhere near Top Shop these days but I *do* still feel like a ‘girl’.. Xx #thetruthabout
    Sam recently posted…The evolution of a bloggerMy Profile

6. Jude
    October 21, 2015 at 8:40 pm (1 year ago)

Oh Suzanne, you make me laugh, though I know their is some seriousness to this post. And I agree, raging is so difficult to stomach. I can relate to every thing on your list. The thing that gets me most is the fact that I can no longer get away with eating and drinking anything I want. The Middle Aged Spread is hunting me down!!!!
    Thing is, you are beautiful – and I think perhaps that makes it even harder?! I thought that the first time I saw you and was surprised when you told me you were an over 40s blogger. That was less than 2 years ago so I KNOW you’ve still got it! Don’t kid yourself lady. Still wolf-whistle material. Defo. #thetruthabout
    Jude recently posted…Do you argue in front of the kids?My Profile

7. Tracey Williams
    October 23, 2015 at 7:19 pm (1 year ago)

I would definitely suggest hanging around with older friends. I have a close friend who is 54 (I am a mere spring chicken of 41), though the kids did say once ‘but your friend looks younger than you mummy’ *disowns kids straight away* xx Oh and happy birthday. Hope you had a lovely day celebrating being 27 again xx
    Tracey Williams recently posted…Ellie Bean Prints – Review and GiveawayMy Profile

8. brummymummyof2
    October 24, 2015 at 6:57 am (1 year ago)

The black hairs made me LOL! Do you know I have a whisker? A WHISKER! I have to pull it out and sometimes it gets so long. I am surprised my husband as not left me bab. I really am x
    brummymummyof2 recently posted…How The Clock Change. SCREWS LIVES!My Profile

9. Sarah (Grenglish)
    October 25, 2015 at 1:09 pm (1 year ago)

Happy Birthday! I was 27 for a long time, although in recent years I seem to have stuck at 35… hope you had a wonderful day. I have to carry tweezers around with me in my bag because I never know when I am going to need them…

November 5, 2015 at 9:21 am (1 year ago)

Gosh even my head age hasn’t aged at all! I need to catch up a bit, perhaps 35 would be more realistic? Glad I’m not the only one with a tweezer obsession 😉