Teenagers spend a lot of time in their bedrooms. Fact. Increasingly I am having to invent reasons for them to emerge from their lair. And getting them to spend time with me? Nigh on impossible without a bit of creativity.

With The Boy’s birthday coming up, I saw an opportunity and went in for the kill….

“Do you fancy helping me decorate your brother’s birthday cake this week? You’re much better at that kind of thing than me.” (See what I did there?)

To my surprise, The Teenager jumped at the opportunity (it’s all in the delivery, clearly….and possibly the full moon – who knows?). We proceeded to discuss (and dismiss) various ideas, eventually plumping for a football pitch with players made out of fondant icing. It wasn’t long before The Drama Queen caught on to our ruse and offered to bake the actual cake. Perfect….I think? As with most things at the moment, this could go either way.

Once The Teenager had declared her people-making skills “stupid” and “rubbish”, choosing instead to create some green concoction also know as grass, her sister stepped in to rescue me from what was looking to be a very long (and sticky) night. After two hours of sifting, stirring, beating and creating, we had ourselves an imperfect masterpiece.

Sam Birthday Cake

It was definitely no Mary Berry Tennis Cake and the less said about the superglue on the worktop the better (don’t ask) but as I reiterated to the girls, it was the thought that counted. The Boy was chuffed to bits and we even wheeled it out again the next day for the OH’s birthday – well dads love football too don’t they?

Blog Signature

TheBoyandMe's 365 Linky

The Ordinary Moments

OneDad3Girls

13 Comments on Photo of the Week 40 / Creating Opportunities

1. Rosie @Eco-Gites of Lenault
    October 3, 2015 at 8:32 pm (1 year ago)

My teen hates anything to do with baking or cooking in any form … but at the moment he can be dragged out of the depths to eat food!!
    Rosie @Eco-Gites of Lenault recently posted…AutumnMy Profile

2. Notmyyearoff
    October 3, 2015 at 9:18 pm (1 year ago)

Aww that’s the sweetest thing everyone chipping in to make his cake and it does look so good too. And it sounds like an excellent idea using it for both birthdays!

3. Rachel @ The Ordinary Lovely
    October 3, 2015 at 10:45 pm (1 year ago)

I am taking notes!! If you get a ton of hits on your blog in ten years time, know that it’s me! I’m storing up all of this information for when my two are teenagers. They don’t really get on very well now so heaven knows what it’s going to be like when they’re 12 and 14.
    Rachel @ The Ordinary Lovely recently posted…The importance of being lazyMy Profile

4. Carie
    October 4, 2015 at 8:04 am (1 year ago)

Ah the Machiavellian genius of a mother of teenagers!! I’m taking notes
    Carie recently posted…Vroom vroomMy Profile

5. Chantal Milk&Nappies
    October 4, 2015 at 10:58 am (1 year ago)

Haha love the tactics – I will take note for when Zach is older! Cake looks fantastic! xx

6. chickenruby
    October 4, 2015 at 11:47 am (1 year ago)

fab idea to get them working together, but i am intrigued as to why superglue was used in the baking of a cake
    chickenruby recently posted…Week 40 – Project 365My Profile

7. Hannah
    October 4, 2015 at 1:37 pm (1 year ago)

Brilliant. I love how you got everyone involved. Fondant modelling is really hard, we did some for my eldests birthday cake and the youtube video made it look so easy. It wasn’t. I think your figures are really good!
    Hannah recently posted…{The Ordinary Moments} #40 ‘Love’My Profile

8. Katie @mummydaddyme
    October 4, 2015 at 4:41 pm (1 year ago)

I shall be taking notes for further down the line when this happens to me. Still you all did a really good job and I bet their little brother was chuffed. x