Because sometimes, regression is a good thing.

Do you ever make assumptions? About your child? That they will always be clingy, head-strong, a poor sleeper, a fussy eater, too shy, or no good at maths? Come on, admit it. Don’t we all do that to some degree?

If there’s one thing I’ve learnt over 15 years of parenting, it’s that children surprise us. Ok it might not always be in the way we would like (and we all know how much I love to share those moments!) but more often than not, it’s in a good way.

Recently, The Drama Queen has been surprising me. And I’ve taken to documenting it. She’s changed so much in the last couple of years, almost as though she’s been cocooned for a period of time waiting to turn into the butterfly that has been waiting in the wings. It’s definitely been a gradual process, but one that I want us both to remember forever. And hopefully it will encourage you too.

It’s easy to get bogged down as a parent, to think we are never going to get out of this rut, that our child will always be a certain way – one that will permanently hinder them in life.

If you’re a regular reader, you will know that for a long period of time, The Drama Queen suffered from separation anxiety. If she was going anywhere it had to be with me and if I went anywhere without her, we would all suffer. Over the years, we kind of adapted our lives around her and always factored any anxieties she might have, into the decisions we made.

Performing has always been a love of hers. She isn’t brash or a show off, she simply enjoys entertaining people and thrives in the limelight. From a very early age, she had all the confidence in the world. Here she is aged 3, in the nursery nativity…

But as she got older, something changed. Allowing her anxieties to get the better of her, she wouldn’t try anything new and certainly not if it would mean spending any length of time away from me.

At 14, The Drama Queen is still a natural worrier. But over the past couple of years, I’ve seen some changes in her. Huge changes. She’s gradually learnt to ‘feel the fear and do it anyway’ (for want of a better expression). And it’s doing her the world of good!

This year she has started private singing lessons at school. She has also chosen to stay on at her drama class, despite most of her friends deciding they were too cool  to move on. As a result, last month she had the confidence to take her grade 6 LAMDA exam (having never done one before) and today, she is taking her grade 3 Rock School singing exam.

Concentrating hard on learning her lines.

She might not be the best. She might not have got the part she auditioned for in the school play last term. But I’m so proud of her for having the confidence to try and more importantly, overcome the things that in the past would have held her back.

It’s lovely to watch your child blossom in an environment that suits them, isn’t it? She hasn’t changed all that much from the tutu-clad 3 year old singing ‘Alice the Camel’ (minus the belly and with better counting skills!) and I can’t tell you how happy that makes me feel.

11 Comments on Because sometimes, regression is a good thing.

February 24, 2016 at 7:32 am (12 months ago)

This is so lovely – it brings tears to my eyes! Good luck to her for her exams, no wonder you are proud.
    I thought my eldest would always be sensitive and always be a fussy eater. Now he’s the most resilient person I know and he eats a lot better than he used to!
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…The quietest half-termMy Profile

February 24, 2016 at 12:43 pm (12 months ago)

Isn’t it amazing how much they surprise us? It’s important to remember these changes when we’re in the thick of something horrible.

2. Karen
    February 24, 2016 at 8:44 am (12 months ago)

That’s such a lovely story. Comfortable in her own skin to be who she wants to be even with uncertainty! Well done
    Karen recently posted…Life MemberMy Profile

February 24, 2016 at 12:43 pm (12 months ago)

Thank you Karen. I think you’ve hit then nail on the head!

February 24, 2016 at 5:38 pm (12 months ago)

Thanks Renee. We have everything crossed for the next few weeks!

3. Charly Dove
    February 25, 2016 at 4:51 pm (12 months ago)

Ahh this is such a lovely post Suzanne. It’s fantastic she had the confidence to do that and wow on the exams. Best of luck to her, that’s superb. That video is just awesome – really made me smile bless her. We signed POD up to Stagecoach classes a few weeks ago on a trial basis and she’s loving them. Surprise surprise! X

February 26, 2016 at 12:29 pm (12 months ago)

She’s watched the video over and over again! I’m so glad we got some footage of when they will little, it’s great to look back on. POD will be ace at Stagecoach! x

4. mummyofboygirltwins
    February 25, 2016 at 9:19 pm (12 months ago)

Oh gosh I am ALWAYS doing this…must not. I can’t help it, and I compare because I have twins! Such a lovely post and good luck to her, she sounds amazing xx

February 26, 2016 at 12:30 pm (12 months ago)

I think naturally we all do and that’s why it’s so lovely when they surprise us! Must be that much harder with twins though. Sheesh!

5. Steph
    February 26, 2016 at 10:45 pm (12 months ago)

Well done for keeping at it! She sounds very much like me when I was young – dancing from a tot’s age, private singing lessons and entering singing competitions, I still take part in Amateur Dramatics now! It’s a great hobby and she’ll make so many friends if she sticks with it. Enjoy x
    Steph recently posted…Zog, Masterchef USA and Frambourjoise #LittleLovesMy Profile