The SuitcaseThis might look like a pretty ordinary/boring photograph, but bear with me; this suitcase represents so much…

The Drama Queen has always been a home-body. At the age of 7, she responded to an after-school play date invitation with “I don’t think so, thank you”. Oh the shame! But when you have a child like this, there really is no point in pushing it – something I’ve learnt the hard way.

• We’ve experienced sleepovers that have ended with her on the doorstep at 3am, accompanied by some unsuspecting dad tasked with the job of bringing her home.
  • We’ve had tears on the phone while poor Granny spends the entire night sitting bolt upright in the sitting room, keeping her company on a 24 hour sleepover….or should I say ‘wakeover’?
  • We’ve endured two weeks of disturbed nights and lengthy ‘what if’ chats, prior to the year 6 residential trip.
  • We’ve been at the mercy of many an anxiety-induced temper tantrum in the run up to an event that would take her away from home.

Let’s just say that it hasn’t been easy. For any of us.

Back to the suitcase…

This week, my (not so) little home-body has gone to Italy for 7 days, on the school ski trip. She left on Friday afternoon and wasn’t due to arrive until today, late afternoon.

Let’s just pause for a second…this is a remarkable achievement for her! There was a time when she wouldn’t go 24 paces from me, let alone a 24 hour drive away!

Of course it will be a challenge for her at times, but maturity is an incredible thing. At 14, she now knows (largely from experience) that the fun totally outweighs the anxiety she feels at the thought of being away from home. Every small step has led to this day and I’m so proud of her for taking the plunge.

I would by lying if I didn’t admit to the odd spat before she left. But what was once a whole 2 weeks of angry meltdowns, followed by a flat refusal to go, has turned into 24 hours of argumentative behaviour which I’ve come to accept and deal with as best we can. I know that she will have an absolute blast and so does she.

The moral of the story? Take heart my friends, these are all just phases. I promise.

Blog Signature

PS This is the trip that her older sister went on two years ago and I didn’t hear a beep for the entire 7 days! I love that they are such individuals.

TheBoyandMe's 366 Linky

The Ordinary MomentsOneDad3Girls

YOUR NAME HERE

20 Comments on Photo of the Week 7 / Just a Suitcase?

1. Katie @mummydaddyme
    February 13, 2016 at 8:04 pm (1 year ago)

Aw well done to her, that certainly is a big step. I hope that she has an amazing time and all her worries were over nothing! xx

February 13, 2016 at 8:04 pm (1 year ago)

Wow, that’s brilliant. What a massive step for her! I hope she has an amazing time. You must be so proud. (I think you need a L’n’P badge on this one!)
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…Project 366 Week 6My Profile

3. Kara
    February 14, 2016 at 10:16 am (1 year ago)

I hope she has an amazing time, hopefully it will give her the confidence to get out more :0)
    Kara recently posted…Project 366 2016 – Week SixMy Profile

4. Californian Mum in London
    February 14, 2016 at 10:45 am (1 year ago)

Aww, I hope she has a good trip. My 7-year old still hasn’t been on a sleepover yet so I’m not sure how she would do either. x
    Californian Mum in London recently posted…Mummy-Daddy-Daughter DayMy Profile

5. Carie
    February 14, 2016 at 1:39 pm (1 year ago)

That’s a wonderful achievement- yay for her, I hope she has a smashing time (not literally!)
    Carie recently posted…My spotMy Profile

6. Coombe Mill
    February 14, 2016 at 3:28 pm (1 year ago)

Hope she has a wonderful time

7. Cathy
    February 14, 2016 at 4:33 pm (1 year ago)

Sounds like a big step Suzanne, but hopefully she is having a lovely time :-)
    Cathy recently posted…My Sunday PhotoMy Profile

8. A Patchwork Life
    February 14, 2016 at 9:34 pm (1 year ago)

Can appreciate the significance of those small steps now we’ve hit the teenage years! Nothing is straightforward. Rapidly learning the art of compromise! Hope she has a wonderful trip.
    A Patchwork Life recently posted…Lovely light – Sunday photoMy Profile

9. Tracey Williams
    February 14, 2016 at 9:53 pm (1 year ago)

So glad she has taken such a huge step and will be away from home for 7 days. It definitely sounds as if the fun of a school trip outweighs the anxieties of being away. Well done to your daughter xx
    Tracey Williams recently posted…48 Hours in the City of ChesterMy Profile

10. lauranne
    February 15, 2016 at 5:06 pm (1 year ago)

I so get her worrying and apprehension, I was always the same when I was little. But now I am the one living alone and loving it, which is something that the mere thought of when I was a child would have terrified me – its funny how time changes you.
    lauranne recently posted…Is he a murderer?My Profile

11. Mum in Brum
    February 15, 2016 at 10:38 pm (1 year ago)

Ha, my daughter is 14 months now and already a little fiesty one! I really can’t imagine her as a teenager – hopefully she’ll be less argumentative than her mum was at that age :) Hope your daughter had a wonderful time x #MySundayPhoto
    Mum in Brum recently posted…Are you getting enough sleep? (Win a luxury duvet!)My Profile

12. Merlinda (@pixiedusk)
    February 17, 2016 at 12:36 pm (1 year ago)

What a nice photo! I love the story that goes with it =)

#mysundayphoto
    Merlinda (@pixiedusk) recently posted…ReasonMy Profile

13. Jo Laybourn
    February 18, 2016 at 10:49 pm (1 year ago)

Gosh I hope she is enhjoying her trip and you are not worrying about her (too much!) #loudnproud
    Jo Laybourn recently posted…Normal Hearing!My Profile