A Labour of Love – Teenage Girl’s Bedroom

The ‘Labour of Love’ that is my teenage daughter’s bedroom, is finally complete. Yay!

She had been after a new bedroom for a good while – a little hint here, an almighty shove there. I finally relented and promised it for her 16th birthday. She hadn’t forgotten. Funny how children never forget when it’s in their best interests…

She had tolerated the lime green spotty wallpaper (her 10 year old self’s choice) and ‘flower power’ duvet cover for more than is reasonable for any teenager. Everything was looking a little tired and a trundle bed isn’t very cool when you have your teenage mates round for a sleepover.

So we set about doing some research (aka I spent hours trawling through Pinterest and putting things in the John Lewis basket). We had only recently purchased a new blind for the room so this was the one item that we had to work around. A bright pink and lime green colour scheme proved fairly restrictive, but we plumped for one of the many shades of grey (Feather Flock by Dulux) and I have to say that we are very pleased with the end result.

The room is relatively small and with only one window, can be quite dark on a dull and rainy day. This grey is light enough not to darken the room but strong enough to have an impact.

Teenage Girl's Bedroom

The Teenager had her heart set on a double bed, so we spent a lot of time looking for one that would fit the space and wouldn’t be too dominant. This one from Marks & Spencer is perfect for adorning the new bedroom must-have – fairy lights!

The wardrobe is enormous and successfully manages to conceal 2 large drawers and 4 smaller ones. Whilst it required ‘2 big lads and a wheelbarrow’ (a nod to my favourite, Victoria Wood) to put together, it is very solid and incredibly well made. We purchased a matching bedside table, also from the John Lewis ‘House’ range.

John Lewis Wardrobe

We were fortunate to be offered a desk to review by Kit Out My Office and this one, the Aspire A Frame desk in natural oak, is the perfect size for the space. It fits snuggly under the window, providing a good light for her to work by and the two little drawers are deep enough to hide all of the usual teenage girl’s bits and pieces – one for make up and one for stationery. Perfect. The Eames chair look-a-like, I found for a very reasonable price over at Vita Interiors.

Kit out my office A Frame Desk

The inspired blackboard wall (thank you Pinterest) offers a space for creativity when she wants some light relief from work. She has put it to very good use already and rediscovered her talent for art.

It never hurts to look for sunshine

But the part of this room I like the best, is the shelf above her bed. I was looking for a white floating shelf (specific yes, but I knew not an impossible ask) and I finally found this one on the La Redoute website. I think it works really well.

Teenage Girl's Bedroom

I added a couple of cactus plants with colour co-ordinating pots and found both the gorgeous little picture and light-up letter ‘E’ in a shop locally to us. Many people have asked me where I got it from but unless you want to make a trip to Berkshire, you can find something similar in Next at the moment.

Teenage Girl's Bedroom

Now all that’s missing is my girl. I hope it won’t be long before the familiar discarded clothes, empty crisp packets and dirty plates are adorning every available space – I bet you never thought that you would hear me saying that!

Disclosure: We received an A Frame Natural Oak desk from Kit Out My Office, as a review product. The desk retails at £174.00.

Life With Munchers
Home Etc

22 Comments on A Labour of Love – Teenage Girl’s Bedroom

May 12, 2016 at 5:44 pm (9 months ago)

Hopefully it won’t be too long Nat – that sounds wrong but you know what I mean. :)

1. https://angela10551.wordpress.com/
    May 12, 2016 at 9:33 am (9 months ago)

Absolutely gorgeous! Very well done. xx

2. Toni @ Gym Bunny Mummy
    May 12, 2016 at 9:41 am (9 months ago)

It looks amazing! We’re currently saving for a loft conversion for our teenager & he is insisting on a double bed too :)

May 12, 2016 at 11:22 am (9 months ago)

It looks beautiful! You’ve achieved a lot with the space and I’m sure she will be thrilled with it when she gets home. Let’s hope that isn’t too long!
    And thanks for putting the irritating wrappers and clothes on the floor into perspective for me. I really shouldn’t stress about them, should I? x
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…Loud ‘n’ Proud 12.4.16My Profile

May 15, 2016 at 8:10 pm (9 months ago)

Yes weirdly the room looks better with a double bed in it. It was too long and narrow before. I think we all stress out the mess. I’m sure I will back to doing the same before long! x

4. Katy - Hot Pink Wellingtons
    May 12, 2016 at 8:37 pm (9 months ago)

This is such a lovely space! I love the blackboard, and the floating shelf and accessories are lovely. I remember my room as a teenager – I think every good teenager’s room needs empty crisp packets and dirty plates on the floor! #HomeEtc
    Katy – Hot Pink Wellingtons recently posted…The Garden in MayMy Profile

5. Amanda
    May 12, 2016 at 10:04 pm (9 months ago)

How lovely that your girl will be coming home to a space into which you have put such thought, what a wonderful and safe, welcome home that will be
    Amanda recently posted…Fading BloomsMy Profile

6. Amy
    May 13, 2016 at 1:00 am (9 months ago)

It looks wonderful! I love her chalk artwork. I’m sure she’ll be so happy when she gets back home. -Amy

7. Keira @ Dekko Bird
    May 14, 2016 at 3:36 pm (9 months ago)

This looks great! The grey is a perfect choice as a backdrop to the pink and green. And i love the blackboard wall- we had one in our last home and the kids loved it. I just need to choose a suitable wall to recreate one in our new abode so they can get creative again! K

May 15, 2016 at 8:10 pm (9 months ago)

We used to have one in our kitchen. My OH wasn’t so keen 😉 She’s putting it to good use though. x

8. Sarah Christie
    May 15, 2016 at 8:16 pm (9 months ago)

Suzanne it looks so fab, a teen girls dream so pretty but trendy, and I love the chair I want a black version for my kitchen so am off to check them out. Great job she is a very lucky lady x
    Sarah Christie recently posted…My Sunday Photo, The Steam Hall At MSIMy Profile

9. Fionnuala Three Sons Later
    May 15, 2016 at 9:38 pm (9 months ago)

It looks great Suzanne. Well done. I bet she’s thrilled. The blackboard wall around the desk is a brilliant idea – and her artwork – wow!
    #homeetc

10. Caro | The Twinkle Diaries
    May 17, 2016 at 2:02 pm (9 months ago)

Aaah it looks fabulous Suzanne — the perfect retreat for a teenage girl! I absolutely love the hot pink and acid green combo and I love, love, love the chalkboard wall behind her workspace — that’s a fantastic idea. I bet she’s absolutely thrilled with it! :) Thanks for sharing on #HomeEtc , Caro xx
    Caro | The Twinkle Diaries recently posted…Home Etc #50My Profile

11. mummyofboygirltwins
    May 17, 2016 at 2:21 pm (9 months ago)

What a GREAT space and so calming too! Love the colours and everything is so practical too. Thanks for sharing with us!! Jess xx

#HomeEtc

12. Siobhan (Everyone Else is Normal)
    May 19, 2016 at 12:56 pm (9 months ago)

Awesome bedroom. Wow. Great balance of calm colours (grey and white) with a hint of vibrancy to cheer her. I’m sure she’ll love it. x

13. Tracey Williams
    May 24, 2016 at 11:52 am (9 months ago)

What an amazing room for your daughter, and I am sure the room will be even more special when she is back where she belongs. I love the colours you have chosen, and how amazing is the art she has drawn on the blackboard wall. She is a very talented young lady x
    Tracey Williams recently posted…Little Loves – Hot Tubs, Lodges and School BingoMy Profile

14. Pamela | Life With Munchers
    May 29, 2016 at 3:41 pm (9 months ago)

What a fantastic space for a teenager! I want that while floating shelf, so will be popping across to see if they still have it! It’s so nice to hit pinterest and pull a transformation together like this. Practical, functional and I’m sure a room that all her friends will be envious of! Thanks for linking up #bloggershomes
    Pamela | Life With Munchers recently posted…A Home Improvement Guide from Property Buying ExpertsMy Profile