For Hire: One Troubleshooter

**Disclaimer: No child exploitation has taken place in the making of this post**

We all know that bringing up children is flipping hard work, right? Well sometimes, you strike gold and get one that serves an excellent purpose. My third child has become my very own personal troubleshooter and I do not know what I do without him.

The truth is, over the years, I’ve become one of those mums. You know the sort…the one who dithers at the car park ticket machine trying to work out all the buttons, the one who has to google the shortcut keys on her Apple Mac, the one who has absolutely no idea how or why the TV needs to be viewed through HD channels.

In short, I think I’m on the verge of becoming a technophobe. Something I remember berating my own mother for and the cause of much eye rolling during my teenage years.

Just this week, The Boy spent 10 minutes reading my car manual and managed to successfully do something that I’ve been trying to figure out for 6 months – how to listen to the music on my phone, through the car speakers. In addition to this, he set up his wireless headphones (how they work, I will never know) so that he could watch The Simpsons without me hearing the rude bits (sneaky).

TroubleshooterAlright, you can stop laughing now.

We’ve kind of reached this mutual agreement  you see – I pretend *cough* I can’t do things, and he sorts it for me. Yes I know it’s the child who is meant to be doing that to the parent but the result is well worth it – he feels useful and I save time. It’s working out quite nicely so far. The only trouble is….I need to work out a way to keep him here for the next 30 years. Any ideas?

Blog Signature

PS He is available for hire. Message me for rates.

The Ordinary MomentsOneDad3Girls

26 Comments on For Hire: One Troubleshooter

1. Carie
    June 5, 2016 at 8:48 am (9 months ago)

That sounds like the perfect set up!! Isn’t the traditional key to keeping him home good cooking and doing his laundry – so I think you’re all set?!
    Carie recently posted…On my ownMy Profile

June 9, 2016 at 3:55 pm (9 months ago)

The cooking needs a bit of work but I can keep doing the laundry!

• omaha hyundai
      December 4, 2016 at 4:02 pm (3 months ago)

and written (“Tinderbox”)that the way Washington treats Israel is a form of anti-semitism different only in degree with the way that feudal lords used the Jews as middle men when abusing the peasantry in times past. How can anyone take someone who spouts such nonsense seriously?Here’s our first debate for anyone who may be interested:

December 30, 2016 at 6:09 pm (2 months ago)

December 18, 2012I just like the worthwhile details you provide into your articles or blog posts.I will bookmark your web site and verify once more right here regularly.I’m fairly positive I’ll learn lots of latest stuff perfect right here! Fine luck for your subsequent!

2. Laura @ Little Ladies Big World
    June 5, 2016 at 9:01 am (9 months ago)

Haha this makes me laugh and I am sure what I am going to turn into! Well it is nice to have him on side and feeling useful so parenting points right there x
    Laura @ Little Ladies Big World recently posted…Me and Mine – May 2016My Profile

3. Emma Raphael
    June 5, 2016 at 9:19 am (9 months ago)

He sounds very useful! My 9 year old is similar, if it’s digital or has something moving inside it he can usually work it out! 😀
    Emma Raphael recently posted…Sunday Photo – Roof BalloonMy Profile

June 9, 2016 at 3:55 pm (9 months ago)

Amazing how certain people are born with this internal ‘knack’ isn’t it? I am using it to my FULL advantage!

4. Photalife
    June 5, 2016 at 10:53 am (9 months ago)

I love how kids seem to pick things up so quickly. My eldest is like this and learns things so quickly.

Photalife recently posted…#MySundayPhoto – DisneyMy Profile

5. Coombe Mill
    June 5, 2016 at 1:34 pm (9 months ago)

Hehe, my brothers are a lot like that and I am the complete opposite I never can work out how things work I just ask them to then I enjoy using them, Clio lending a helping hand for Coombe Mill

June 9, 2016 at 4:05 pm (9 months ago)

I think it’s something in the make up Clio!

6. Katie @mummydaddyme
    June 5, 2016 at 1:59 pm (9 months ago)

Haha so cute. And sounds like the perfect set up. I love reading about the bond between you and your son, I hope I have a similar one with my boy in years to come. I still can’t quite believe I have a boy. He sounds very handy indeed to have around! xx

June 6, 2016 at 6:41 am (9 months ago)

How brilliant :) I have one of these – my middle boy. He’s amazing. I’ve got a new watch with GPS and I couldn’t even work out how to press the button (a function so simple there was no explanation in the manual or online, but he worked it out for me (and a lot of other stuff). He’s also the one who changed the clock on my car in seconds two weeks after they’d changed as I couldn’t work out how to do it.
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…The garden projectMy Profile

June 9, 2016 at 4:06 pm (9 months ago)

I’m completely using him to my advantage at the moment – if I can’t be bothered to read the manual, I’ll ask him to work it out! Is this going to come back to bite us on the bum at some stage?!

8. Kiran
    June 7, 2016 at 9:05 am (9 months ago)

Can I borrow him? What a superstar! xx

9. Danielle Spencer
    June 8, 2016 at 9:30 am (9 months ago)

Haha brilliant. I used to be fairly ok with technology but since I met my husband who is very into technology I haven’t a clue as he sorts everything! x
    Danielle Spencer recently posted…Mad Blog Awards-Nomination!!My Profile

10. Merlinda Little ( @pixiedusk)
    June 8, 2016 at 2:08 pm (9 months ago)

My son is like this! At 6 has thought me so many functions of my ipad that I wont otherwise know without him =)

#mysundayphoto
    Merlinda Little ( @pixiedusk) recently posted…One Harmless CommentMy Profile

11. Complicated Gorgeousness
    June 9, 2016 at 4:41 pm (9 months ago)

Haha. I am now the same. How did this happen? I was the one that always set up the VHS machine now I can’t find downloads on the ipad. I need your little man #loudnproud x
    Complicated Gorgeousness recently posted…This boy does bounceMy Profile

12. Plutonium Sox
    June 10, 2016 at 12:12 am (8 months ago)

Oh that’s so useful. I’m relying on my children being like that when they get older too, technology is becoming increasingly beyond me as I age!
    Nat.x
    Plutonium Sox recently posted…Self-catering luxury at Blairmore FarmMy Profile

June 10, 2016 at 6:47 pm (8 months ago)

I’m trying to hang in there but now they are better than me at all this stuff, there’s no point!

13. Jo Sandelson
    June 10, 2016 at 1:23 pm (8 months ago)

Lucky you! Yup mines the same. A bit younger though gets frustrated when he tries to help his friends set up new Xboxes etc and their Dad comes in who ‘knows EVERYTHING’ and overrides him and messes up all the leads etc.
    We were probably like this way back when with the video recorders. For me i think its laziness and if I HAD to do it i would ( like learning how to sort out a bloomin widget on WP when its not uploading!) x
    Jo Sandelson recently posted…My family and Chris GayleMy Profile

June 10, 2016 at 6:46 pm (8 months ago)

It’s easier not to. Right? And our kids can do it MUCH faster so why bother?!

14. Sharon
    June 12, 2016 at 9:27 am (8 months ago)

Ahh….I’ve got one of these – it’s my 14 year old daughter. I use her as my personal IT consultant and technical adviser. “Just give it here Mum” is the phrase that usually precedes her sorting out my technical issues. In return, I help out with her essay on Macbeth and physics revision. Playing to your strengths is what’s needed I find! 😉

15. Becky Cowley
    June 14, 2016 at 8:27 am (8 months ago)

Sounds like he’s a great help! At the moment I muddle my way through all the technology, looking forward to the day I can pass it on to one of the kids, I’m in no doubt that this will happen at some point!

16. Thea Jolly
    July 4, 2016 at 11:08 am (8 months ago)

I know, it’s great isn’t it? My son, aged 14 helps me with all the technical stuff I can’t do (like you, I thought I was OK with technology…but seems not) especially how to use my iPad. He’s also doing lots of household jobs now in return for time on his computer. Seems he did most of his stroppy teenage behaviour years before he became one.
    Thea Jolly recently posted…Vulnerability feels like Sh*t!!My Profile