School’s Out For This Mumma!

When big life events turn your world upside down, it’s sometimes hard to focus on the everyday. But you know what? We must! We still have end of year exams, sports day, the school play, leavers’ parties (the list goes on) to plan for.

There is one event coming up that absolutely cannot go by without a mention…one that I’ve been dreaming about for the last 5 years…one that I have dreaded on some days and longed for on others. Yes folks, in just 6 short weeks, my life as a primary school mum will be over.

School's out for mumma!

Primary School and I began our love/hate relationship a little over 10 years ago. It was April 2005 when I handed my first baby over to the British education system and since then, all three of them have learnt to read and write, recite their times tables, make new friends, spend whole days away from their mum and in the care of complete strangers, cope with disappointment, manage difficult teachers, and navigate the (at times) unjust world of primary school life.

What about me? Over the last decade I have taken on the role of ordering school uniform (the first person to ever make a loss), been in charge of the lucky dip (too often), made my debut as a face painter (not to be repeated), written up the PTA newsletters (if you can call them that), cooked burgers at the summer fair (no one died), served up Pimms (whilst sampling of course) and have sweated through approximately 35 school plays (the most memorable being when my youngest daughter’s rendition of the bearded lady received the laughter it deserved).

In addition to the regular roles that come with being a parent of a primary school child, I’ve learnt many other skills over the years, including and not limited to:

• Arriving in the car park at just the right angle to roll child out of car door and into the school gate with 2 minutes to spare.
  • Negotiating the lion’s den that is the school playground, without actually making any enemies (as far as I’m aware).
  • Creating (buying on Ebay) various unisex outfits including Romans, Greeks, Pirates, Tudor, World Book Day (my least favourite), old people (no idea of the significance), Comic Relief and others I have erased from the memory bank.

Dressing Up

• Sneaking in to Sports Day just before break time, looking as though I’ve been fully participating all morning.
  • Establishing what time and how to approach the school secretary for maximum results.
  • Learning how to blow an egg without so much as a dent in the shell.
  • Turning up to school with shop-bought cakes and being perfectly proud that we haven’t had time to make any (this one took me about three years to master).
  • Realising that teachers hate the home-made biscuits that you agonise over for months in the early years, preferring a much less stressful voucher any time.
  • Getting to speak to an actual teacher before the start of the school day (the mother of all achievements).
  • Sitting on my hands when any help is required, enabling ‘keen  mum’ to fulfil her potential.

In the last ten years, there has been plenty of moaning (from all of us) but there has been even more good times and fantastic memories made. More recently, with just one child left in primary school education, I’ve had to remind myself that although I have played the role of ‘Primary School Mum’ three times over, The Boy is experiencing all of this stuff for the first time.

The bottom line? All three of my children have been served very well by their primary school and the majority of their teachers. Although right now I will be glad to see the back of the school run, I think there will be a little bit of sadness (cue much wailing) when that primary school gate finally closes for the last time.

Blog Signature

And then the fun began...

20 Comments on School’s Out For This Mumma!

1. Plutonium Sox
    June 14, 2016 at 8:27 am (8 months ago)

Eek, what a milestone! I’m here to take over the mantle from you, my eldest starts primary school in September. Wish me luck!
    Nat.x
    Plutonium Sox recently posted…Thursday Photo #109My Profile

June 14, 2016 at 4:31 pm (8 months ago)

Ah what perfect timing! I wrote a post about surviving primary school not so long ago, you might want to read it 😉

2. Cheryl | TimeToCraft
    June 14, 2016 at 10:27 am (8 months ago)

Oh so funny. Your skill list pretty much matches mine. (They don’t ask me to make the teas at fundraisers anymore.) I have second daughter leaving this term, but youngest has two more years. Just two more years…..

June 14, 2016 at 4:33 pm (8 months ago)

When I only had one left, I had mentally gone. It’s a weird feeling. I stopped getting involved or volunteering for anything. I’ve done my stint!

June 14, 2016 at 4:18 pm (8 months ago)

I can so relate to this, although I never got involved in any PTA/ school fair stuff – I did hardcore governor stuff instead. I felt sad at the start of this year when I only had one child left at primary school, but now I’m ready to move on, although you can bet I will be an emotional wreck come this time next year. We’ve done everything too many times and I just feel too old for primary school now.
    PS You may want to go back to Reception – I don’t think much of your maths!
    PPS How on earth did you manage to have a child start school in April?! Your daughter only started a few months before my son, who is still only 14!
    Sarah MumofThree World recently posted…The girl who cried wolfMy Profile

June 14, 2016 at 4:31 pm (8 months ago)

Which part is incorrect?! She started April 2005 because then, they had a 3 term intake and she started the term before her 5th birthday. She was so ready for school, I can tell you!

4. Amanda Masters
    June 14, 2016 at 4:28 pm (8 months ago)

Oh my gosh, what a milestone for you all.
    So many aspects of parenting are bittersweet, but it seems you’ve all learnt from the years at Primary school.
    Amanda Masters recently posted…A Measure of TimeMy Profile

5. Janet T
    June 14, 2016 at 4:39 pm (8 months ago)

I agree, I too have this milestone looming in 6 weeks. I call it my mid-school-life crisis. It will come as no surprise to my fellow mums that the thing I’m going to miss most is the PTA beer festival! Best wishes.

6. Sam
    June 14, 2016 at 5:07 pm (8 months ago)

Ah! Must be a little bit sad to be saying goodbye to all those happy memories and innocent days – although as I’m learning, there is a fair bit of parental involvement required and I’m not even involved with PTA or anything like that! Good luck to your boy when he starts Secondary in September! My youngest will be starting infants! Thanks for linking up to this week’s #thetruthabout X
    Sam recently posted…Pursuing Happiness…My Profile

7. Natalie
    June 14, 2016 at 7:02 pm (8 months ago)

Oh dear as much as I hate the school run (my daughter only started in September – nobody warned me how horrific it was) I will be sobbing when she leaves! Such a big milestone! Good luck!
    Natalie recently posted…Watching the world go by…My Profile

8. Sarah Christie
    June 14, 2016 at 9:10 pm (8 months ago)

Ah Suzanne so sad, Joe leaves next year in fact we have been looking at high schools tonight, I threw a leavers party for Jacks year so will have to do the same for Joe but I know I will be a blubbering wreck when the time comes. Our children are growing up and it is so scary x
    Sarah Christie recently posted…Things I Am Loving LatelyMy Profile

9. Michelle Twin Mum
    June 14, 2016 at 10:07 pm (8 months ago)

Ahh the end of an era Suzanne. I must say I’m really looking forward to stopping the school run but I still have another 2 years (I’m already on count-down!) Mich x
    Michelle Twin Mum recently posted…They Don’t Know What’s Best For ThemMy Profile

10. Amy
    June 15, 2016 at 1:56 am (8 months ago)

I admit that I had to look up when primary school ends in Britain. It appears to be around the same age we finish elementary school here in the United States. I just finished up the first year of the youngest in middle school (12 y/o) and both boys in high school. There’s less parental involvement after elementary, but it sure does fly by fast!!

11. John Adams
    June 15, 2016 at 9:20 am (8 months ago)

Funny this, guess who will be flipping burgers and cooking hot dogs this Saturday at the summer fair? Yes, me. Still a while for me to go at the school gates. CHild ” doesn’t start until next year! #TruthABout
    John Adams recently posted…Father Christmas; the subject of playground gossipMy Profile

12. Hayley Smith
    June 15, 2016 at 10:46 am (8 months ago)

AH that really sounds like the end of an era! We have only just started on our Primary School journey and I’ve dabbled with the PTA, I still get excited about all the school plays and sports days…most days I don’t even mind the school run but I bet in ten years I’ll be glad to see the back of it!! xx
    Hayley Smith recently posted…My Summer Reading ListMy Profile

13. Caroline (Becoming a SAHM)
    June 16, 2016 at 7:40 pm (8 months ago)

Wow what a journey! And one we are only just beginning as Monkey starts in September. The lions den of the playground terrifies me a little and I fear I have a lot to learn about being a primary school mum! Xx #thetruthabout
    Caroline (Becoming a SAHM) recently posted…Focussing on Happy #2 “Goodbye”My Profile

14. brummymummyof2
    June 18, 2016 at 5:40 am (8 months ago)

This made me lol! Especially the getting to speak to the teacher at the end of the day!!! It seems impossible!!! Fab list love and fab fancy dress outfits! x
    brummymummyof2 recently posted…How To Handle The FearMy Profile

15. Victoria Visits
    June 18, 2016 at 9:36 pm (8 months ago)

This is a major milestone – and I can really associate with everything you have mentioned here. In Somerset it is a 3 tier system so Grace is off to middle school in September – the same as I did when I was her age – and I am really excited for her. Although I will be a bit sad to see the back of ‘little’ school. #thetruthabout
    Victoria Visits recently posted…How I Long to Roam in RomeMy Profile

16. Tracey Williams
    June 21, 2016 at 2:04 pm (8 months ago)

Do you know what, Primary school mum skills would look awesome on a CV. When you stop and think, not what the kids have achieved, but what us mums have done (and occasionally dads too). It will be our turn this time next year, and whilst I am counting down every school run left already, I know I will be a blubbering wreck when the time comes x
    Tracey Williams recently posted…Little Loves – Fathers Day, running and girlie chatterMy Profile