Take 5: Doing the Hippy Shake

Morning all. It’s Fridayyyyyyyy! I hope you’ve got some lovely things planned for the weekend. To save you from drivel overload, I’m going to get straight down to our ‘Take 5 Friday‘ moments for this week…

1. OUT WITH THE OLD

It’s really happening. The Boy will be leaving primary school in a matter of weeks, all set to embark on his new life at secondary school. This week he spent two days at his new school and came home announcing that he wants to go NOW! I think the milkshake and cookies at break time clinched it but I’m glad he’s happy.

leaving primary school

The Drama Queen made sure that she lived up to her name by shaming him in front of his friends and mocking his small stature compared to all the other new recruits. Sisterly love eh?

2. SHAKE YOUR BOOTY

Something strange has been going on this week. Something I have never seen in all my 26 years of voting – people seem to be sharing whether they are ‘in’ or ‘out’ and even changing their Facebook avatar accordingly!

Is this normal? Is it me being ‘old school’? When I spotted a small aeroplane flying over my home town on Thursday morning with a banner shouting ‘Vote Leave’, it was the last straw.  As I told my son on Thursday morning, I’m voting to ‘shake it all about’. Join me?

(Since writing this, the results are out and I am utterly shocked and stunned. Eating my words and coming out of my box to say how worried I am right now. I honestly never thought this would happen. Am gutted.)

3. LITTLE STEPS

Our girl came home last weekend for the night (if you’re wondering where she’s been, you can read about that here) – 9 hours of driving but it was worth it to see her back in her natural habitat and to have all my babies under one roof.

I think we were all understandably a little nervous about how it would go but it was generally a positive visit and we are looking forward to having her here again this weekend – for two nights this time. Little steps in the right direction :)

4. HAPPINESS IS…

Was it just me who slept the entire way through the storm on Wednesday night? Perhaps it was the two glasses of wine we quaffed round at our neighbours that evening, or the fact that we are all dog tired and struggling a bit to wade through each week. Either way, not one of us woke to the rolls of thunder or hammering rain!

The first time I realised anything had even occurred the previous evening, was when I discovered ‘It’ wallowing around in the deepest puddle you’ve ever seen. Admittedly he’s not very big but this one was like a lake! Look how happy he is…

Dog in muddy puddle

5. AN ADVERTISER’S DREAM

I’ve been experimenting with fake tan this week. Do you love it or hate it? Over the last twenty years or so, I think I’ve probably tried every single product available on the market. Let’s just say that I’m not blessed with the best skin tone for this time of year. Blue legs? Check. A face covered in freckles? Check. Burnt shoulders as soon as the sun makes an appearance? Check.

I know it’s probably vain to admit this, but middle aged (did I really say that?) skin looks so much better a few shades darker. This week I’ve been trialling a product that I saw featured over on a fellow blogger’s Instagram feed (I’m a sucker for a real life recommendation) – Alice from More than Toast.

Vita Liberata Fake tan

I think I might have finally found a fake tan that leaves no streaks and doesn’t have that horrible biscuity smell to it. Oh and I’m also using a tan mitt (thanks for the tip Alice *thumbs up*). Obviously you can blame me for the torrential rain all week 😉

• image title

image caption

We’ve had some positive moments this week and some not so positive ones. After last week, I am choosing to dwell on the good bits as they keep us going during the rocky times. I’ve also made an attempt to go to the gym more regularly and to prioritise time with friends – two things that I know aid my well-being.

With that in mind, my Word of the Week is ‘Progress’.

The Reading Residence

10 Comments on Take 5: Doing the Hippy Shake

1. The Reading Residence
    June 24, 2016 at 11:53 am (8 months ago)

Progress is a very positive word to go for. It has been a shocking morning, and you’re right, the run up was unusual, too. Gutted is certainly the right word. Glad that your weekend went so well and bless ‘It’! Thanks for sharing with #WotW x
    The Reading Residence recently posted…Word of the Week 24/6/16My Profile

2. Merlinda Little ( @pixiedusk)
    June 24, 2016 at 12:58 pm (8 months ago)

I also slept through the storm! Something about its sound make me slept wee bit better I think!

Progress is a lovely word. Planning on your well being is nice as well. I have been planning on always being good but I always end up not following my plan! So if you have a secret on how to have focus please let me know =)

#wotw
    Merlinda Little ( @pixiedusk) recently posted…School Run PhotosMy Profile

3. Natalie
    June 24, 2016 at 6:02 pm (8 months ago)

Progress is good lovely progress is positive!!

Oh I love fake tan ( I can’t help it I’m a scousers!) I’m terrible at applying it though!! A mitt is a good start though!!
    Natalie recently posted…Romcoms, Dressing up and Adele #littlelovesMy Profile

4. Helena
    June 24, 2016 at 6:57 pm (8 months ago)

It’s lovely to hear that you feel progress in your life especially when it comes to all your babies being under one roof. #WotW
    Helena recently posted…Happy Days: In HospitalMy Profile

5. Kim Carberry
    June 24, 2016 at 7:53 pm (8 months ago)

Ahh! That’s great that your boy is looking forward so much to secondary school. I love his hoodie! What a great memento.
    I am so pleased your girl spent some time at home.
    Progress is great. So positive x
    Kim Carberry recently posted…They’ve been in trouble… #WotWMy Profile

6. Angela Webster
    June 24, 2016 at 9:06 pm (8 months ago)

Lots going on for you this week, must have been lovely to have your daughter home and spend time all together. I can’t believe how many people were broadcasting which way they were voting it’s certainly changed my view of some of the people I call friends I wish I had stayed away from social media this week, at the moment the future isn’t looking very bright.
    Angela Webster recently posted…Word of the Week – LearnMy Profile

7. Plutonium Sox
    June 25, 2016 at 10:54 am (8 months ago)

How lovely that there has been progress in terms of your daughter – great word for the week too. I’m really glad her trip home went well. I am also gutted by the referendum result – and having to look for work as I’m likely to lose my freelance contract as a result. Sigh.
    Nat.x
    Plutonium Sox recently posted…Thursday Photo #111My Profile

8. tracey at Mummyshire
    June 25, 2016 at 11:48 pm (8 months ago)

I just read your other post and I can understand why Progress is a very apt and positive word, and one that shows you’re all moving forward. It must’ve been lovely to all be together again under one roof.
    We’ve had so much rain and thunderstorms here, too, unfortunately ours seem to arrive at 3pm just in time for school pick up!
    Do have a lovely week

9. katie
    June 27, 2016 at 9:54 pm (8 months ago)

thank you for sharing your word this week, it has been a shocking week, and so glad to hear you are finding some positives and making some progress. I have just been visiting your blog for the first time, and I hope things continue to improve for you and your family xx