I’m not sure how to start this post, other than to say ‘hello’. It’s been a while hasn’t it?
Having had a two month break from blogging, I’ve realised just how much I miss writing. I know people jokingly call it ‘online therapy’ but you know what? I really have relied on this space over the last four years. Actually perhaps I’ve relied on it a little too much.
What do I mean by that?
Well I’ve probably neglected talking to real life people and I’ve definitely got too attached to the ‘likes’ from virtual strangers. In short, it’s done me good to have a break and to gain some perspective.
My ever-patient OH reminded me a few weeks ago that The Boy is only 11 and that by closing down this blog, perhaps one day he will be sad that it ended so abruptly. Interestingly, The Drama Queen was most indignant at my decision to close it all down.
So whilst I won’t be blogging very regularly on here, I would like to keep up with certain milestones and share the odd memory that will one day form part of our family history.
So where will you find me?
Over the years, this space has slowly become a bit of a jumble of everything – interiors, parenting, family life, the ageing process, soul-searching, travel and days out. I’ve realised that there are so many things I love writing about but this current blog doesn’t really lend itself to branching out and moving away from family life. So….
I’m hatching a new blog! A space just for me and the things that I love. The intention is for it to be very relaxed, less commercial, with no pressure to blog to a schedule. Stick by me on social media and I’ll let you know when it goes ‘live’. Probably some time mid September.
Whilst I’m here, I kind of feel as though I owe you a little update. So here are some headlines to bring you up to speed….
- The Boy is currently on holiday for 10 days in France with some lovely friends who knew we wouldn’t be going away ourselves this year. I really admire his bravery but boy do I miss him! I’ve heard tales of horse racing, skate boarding, surfing and theme parks. He won’t want to come home I’m sure.
- The Teenager, despite taking them in hospital and not being at all well at the time, managed some storming GCSE results. She was determined to take them and we are all so proud of her for making that massive decision. Whatever she chooses to do with those results in the future is up to her. For now, she’s going to be taking a year out of education.
- The Drama Queen has ombred (is that a word?) her hair. Something she’s been talking about for about a year but has decided to act on just before returning to school. Timing is everything, right? On Wednesday, the two of us are heading to Brighton for the day. She’s hoping to bump into Zoella, whilst I’m hoping to dodge the seagulls and get home before tea-time.
- The five of us are all heading to Swanage for a mini-break next week. We didn’t manage a family holiday this summer and with it being such an exceptionally long one (why???) we are really looking forward to some time together.
- And of course we still have the mummy hamster….just. She escaped yet again the other week and we spent three days trying to entice her out from behind the washing machine. She’s a resilient little thing this one!
It’s been a strange summer this year. Not the one we had hoped for or the one anyone would have predicted, but it’s been surprisingly positive in so many ways. We are seeing some light in the horribly dark tunnel we found ourselves in earlier this year and making plans for the future.
It’s good to be back.